Pit Boss Vertical Series 4 pellet problem

Grill Junkie

Reaction score
I was smoking a brisket last night and in the middle of the cook the smoker started losing heat. The temperature would not rise, and the pellet light keep flashing. I had to finish the brisket in the oven. Does anyone know why that would happen and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance for your help.

I was smoking a brisket last night and in the middle of the cook the smoker started losing heat. The temperature would not rise, and the pellet light keep flashing. I had to finish the brisket in the oven. Does anyone know why that would happen and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance for your help.
I recommend emptying the pellets out of the hopper so it’s pretty much completely empty. That way you can look down and see you there’s a clog or something.
Also pull out the burn pot and take a look in that way to see what’s going on.

That's happen to me once last year, I had about a quarter of the hopper with pellets, and I stirred them with a stick then got that alarm. Tractor Supply is close by, so I bought a 40 lbs. bag of their pellets and put it in, it's been fine ever since with no low pellets alarm.

As you are starting your PitBoss VERTICAL smoker journey, here’s some excellent advice, reminders and operational tips adapted from page member ADAM GRAHAM:

First: Actually READ the manual and when you finish it, read it again. Keep it handy for quick reference!!! Probably NOT in the manual are the NEW PitBoss Vertical startup procedures... see the attached photo.

Second: Your vertical DOES NOT NEED SEASONING like the horizontal barrel smokers do as there’s no raw steel to rust.

Third: by default, your rain cap ... yes it is just a rain cap... spin it wide open and it will give you the best air flow for quicker a startup and better temperature maintenance. You can adjust it to maintain temperatures in extremely low temperatures.

Fourth: move your water pan to keep it AWAY FROM the digital temperature probe in the back and that’ll help with any wild temp swings.

Note: That “handle” of your verticals heat diffuser is actually is a spacer and that goes to the back of the smoker to properly align your grease tray.

Fifth: The heavy white smoke you’ll see at startup is bad smoke that’ll make your food bitter, you want thin blue to almost clear smoke. Wait for the smoke to clear before putting the food in and closing the door.

Sixth: Yes, 50° temp swings with the non PID vertical smokers are absolutely normal and by design. Per PB customer service it is to help push smoke out and keep the smoke fresh. These temperature swings will tighten with patience, time and experience.

Seventh: at startup, with the door open, once the flame is roaring and the white smoke is out ... SLOWLY Turn your temp (in 50° increments) to 25° hotter than your planned cooking temp. Let it warm up to that temp for about 10 minutes and then turn down to your desired cook temp. It will help with the dreaded ERL error and stabilize your temp swings.

Eighth: YES, vacuum your fire pot out BEFORE EVERY session or one day you’ll wish you did!

Ninth: you CAN keep your pellets in your smoker at all times and they won’t get wet. Buy a PB cover and spray with some waterproofing spray for added protection.

Tenth: these awesome smoke machines are gravity fed so always start with your firepot clean, your hopper full and periodically stir your pellets to avoid flameouts from pellet voids.

Eleventh: Your flame tamer openings (if so equipped) must be side to side and NOT front to back to prevent grease and controller fires.

Twelfth: Be careful that you do not completely foil over the louvers on your water pan. If you destroy the cabinets air flow, you’ll create havoc with your temperature swings.

Thirteen: Per the manual, Verticals must have water in the water pan to avoid grease fires.

Fourteen: Experimentation builds experience!!! Smoke On!! Enjoy your PitBoss journey!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6311.jpeg
    IMG_6311.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 18
I empty my burn pot before every use and the PB cover works very well keeping things dry never had any issues and im finding if you use Charcoal pellets for long smoke it needs to be emptied after 12 hrs or it might burn out
What’s going on with the burnout thing and charcoal pellets?

What’s going on with the burnout thing and charcoal pellets?
I did a 24hr Brisket nd had mine burn out because the burn pot was full never had that issue with regular wood pellets but the one I did use charcoal pellet mix it filled up and since then I notice burn pot a little fuller than normal with ash since I have been mixing

I did a 24hr Brisket nd had mine burn out because the burn pot was full never had that issue with regular wood pellets but the one I did use charcoal pellet mix it filled up and since then I notice burn pot a little fuller than normal with ash since I have been mixing
Good to know and I’ll keep that in mind. I got a bag of charcoal pellets but have yet to use them. I was planning on using them in cooler weather if they would generate more heat than regular pellets.

Good to know and I’ll keep that in mind. I got a bag of charcoal pellets but have yet to use them. I was planning on using them in cooler weather if they would generate more heat than regular pellets.
im still cooking with them I dont really see any temp issues but I cook by meat temps not machine temp or time .
I know my temp probs are off a few degrees so I get it close then test with hand held

Back