Preheat your grill to…

Mr. Zoom

Reaction score
Been smoking for a couple of years now. Pleased with my results for the most part.

Every site I read online says to “preheat your grill to a certain temp and while you’re waiting apply the rub blah, blah, blah.

When I 1st start up my pellet smoker it smokes for a bit then I close it up and let it reach temp before putting the meat in the chamber.

Once the door is close why not put the meat in while it’s warming up?

Been smoking for a couple of years now. Pleased with my results for the most part.

Every site I read online says to “preheat your grill to a certain temp and while you’re waiting apply the rub blah, blah, blah.

When I 1st start up my pellet smoker it smokes for a bit then I close it up and let it reach temp before putting the meat in the chamber.

Once the door is close why not put the meat in while it’s warming up?
I’ve done that myself. I also take it out of the fridge an hour before I place it on the grill. 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Last edited:
I’ve done done that myself. I also take it out of the fridge an hour before I place it on the grill. 🇺🇸🇺🇸
I’m always fully thawed when the meat goes on. If you follow all the advice online they tell you to let it come to room temp while you are preheating your grill. There’s no way your meat will achieve room temperature in the short amount of time it takes to preheat your smoker. I have doubts about online advice… oh my!

I’m always fully thawed when the meat goes on. If you follow all the advice online they tell you to let it come to room temp while you are preheating your grill. There’s no way your meat will achieve room temperature in the short amount of time it takes to preheat your smoker. I have doubts about online advice… oh my!
I smoked porterhouse steaks yesterday and it was just fine in an hour. Turned out great

The whole start and preheat you grill while you season got started with offset smokers. It can easily take a couple plus hours to heat up and settle in with clean smoke.
That said I start my grill and let it settle on smoke temp (180) on my 1150.
Then it's on. You should try starting from some frozen ribs. Then season as they thaw.

Good question. Probably a carry over from cooking in the oven days like if you’re baking something it really needs to be at target temp ahead of time.
But with meat for example, I really see no big deal. The bottom line is you are watching the target temp anyway regardless of how long it takes to get there.
All that coming from my experience with a vertical model..

My 1600 has the rapid igniter so come to temp time is relatively quick however I agree with Steve from PA your cooking to temp not by time so once I get clean smoke I throw my protein on the rack no matter what the temp reading says, its going to get there when it gets there !! no need to stress . SMOKE ON !!!!!

Back