Recipe setting

P settings are adjustable with the temp set all the way down. They are time based not closed loop temp control. P0 feeds more pellets in 10 minutes than P7 as an example. More smoke in P0 although the temp will run higher.

I always run in the P modes while I monitor the temp. Depending on how the rig is running, I'll move between P0 P1 and might jump up to P2 so the temp drops some.

On a hot day P0 will be running 225 to 250. I just find the setting that runs around the temp I want and kinda cruise there with tweeks if it starts climbing.

When the meat stalls I'll drop to P0 for the smoke and let it sit until time dictates I need to finish and will crank up the temp, out of the P setting to about 300 to push through the stall.

Kinda long winded but that's how I run. Your rig may run a little differently but it's pretty easy to learn the girl's habits.

P settings are adjustable with the temp set all the way down. They are time based not closed loop temp control. P0 feeds more pellets in 10 minutes than P7 as an example. More smoke in P0 although the temp will run higher.

I always run in the P modes while I monitor the temp. Depending on how the rig is running, I'll move between P0 P1 and might jump up to P2 so the temp drops some.

On a hot day P0 will be running 225 to 250. I just find the setting that runs around the temp I want and kinda cruise there with tweeks if it starts climbing.

When the meat stalls I'll drop to P0 for the smoke and let it sit until time dictates I need to finish and will crank up the temp, out of the P setting to about 300 to push through the stall.

Kinda long winded but that's how I run. Your rig may run a little differently but it's pretty easy to learn the girl's habits.
Thanks for the info. The manual doesn’t really explain it that way so it’s confusing.

In one spot I read P settings affect the feeding while at a temp setting. I deal PID loops in other types of electronics and didn't understand the statement I read would work. It didn't make sense to me.

I see the temp settings, running under temp control as separate from the time based pellet feeding the P settings run with. In the P settings temp ends up where it does by how hot the fire is. Think like a camp fire. More wood all the time and the fire is hhotter

Wanting 225 I would be running around P1/P2 with my rig. Higher P number = less pellets per time. I've read at the higher P settings you can get a burnout due to lack of pellets. I've never experienced that since I'm never in the higher settings.

So for instance if I put my setting on p3 and set my temp to 225 for 3hrs will the temp not stay around that?
If you set the temp at 225, the P setting doesn't matter. Your grill is using the temp probe and the controller to try to maintain that temperature.

The P setting (timer based setting) is only active in smoke mode or the lowest temp setting. The temperature is then entirely dependent on the timer, type of pellets, the weather, and how often you open the lid.

Latest Discussions

Back