Ribs in the Rain

Steve In Pa

Media
Reaction score
Wasn’t supposed to rain today. Minimal chance at best. So boom, we got hit with the only heavy thunderstorm in the immediate area. Really hammered down. And out there in the driveway was a fully loaded PB vertical with ribs smoker. With a design flaw that lets water trickle into the pellet hopper.
So I grabbed an umbrella and stood out there next to the PB, covering me, the smoker and a container of pellets.
Storm eventually passed. PB still chugging away as I shop vaced the damp pellets out of the hopper, reloaded and the smoke goes on.

Wasn’t supposed to rain today. Minimal chance at best. So boom, we got hit with the only heavy thunderstorm in the immediate area. Really hammered down. And out there in the driveway was a fully loaded PB vertical with ribs smoker. With a design flaw that lets water trickle into the pellet hopper.
So I grabbed an umbrella and stood out there next to the PB, covering me, the smoker and a container of pellets.
Storm eventually passed. PB still chugging away as I shop vaced the damp pellets out of the hopper, reloaded and the smoke goes on.

Way to hande the unexpected storm. Nice job!

All worth it
Family approved
IMG_1302.jpeg

I live in NY. I've cooked in thunderstorms, snowstorms, 100 degree heat. One Christmas a few years ago, it was 18 below zero with the wind. I started cooking my brisket at 5 am! I was frozen to the bone out there. At the time I had a Trager Pro Series 34. The temp fluctuated but the cook was great, and the brisket was amazing. I recently sold the Trager and bought a Pit Bos Pro Series. This is a much better rig. The temp stays rock solid throughout the cook, no matter how many hours it is running. The flavors are amazing and it is built like a tank. It is the best decision I made.

Do you have a way to secure that? Where I live there are maybe three days each year where it wouldn't fly away like a kite. My Series 3 vertical is on my paver patio. I don't cook if there's rain in the forecast or I would have the same struggle as Steve.

Do you have a way to secure that? Where I live there are maybe three days each year where it wouldn't fly away like a kite. My Series 3 vertical is on my paver patio. I don't cook if there's rain in the forecast or I would have the same struggle as Steve.
I would make 4 five gallon buckets filled with mortar/cement with an eye bolt sticking out. Then use ratchet straps up to the corners of the top. I realize it would be a bit inconvienent, but it should resist a pretty good wind....

Could also fill them with water, but i think the bucket handle may be a weak link during a gust....

Latest Discussions

Back