Rubs are important!

Mr. Zoom

Reaction score
Kinda curious about something. The other night I smoked a beautiful little 1.5 inch thick NY Steak. Smoker hit temperature and I plopped her and let it do its thing. Small problem, beer might have had something to do with it, but I forgot to add a rub.

I figured no biggie cause it’s all about the smoke, right? Wrong! It wasn’t even close to being palatable.

The question: anyone else ever smoke meat without seasoning and regretted it or like, that’s the only way I’ll eat it?

Kinda curious about something. The other night I smoked a beautiful little 1.5 inch thick NY Steak. Smoker hit temperature and I plopped her and let it do its thing. Small problem, beer might have had something to do with it, but I forgot to add a rub.

I figured no biggie cause it’s all about the smoke, right? Wrong! It wasn’t even close to being palatable.

The question: anyone else ever smoke meat without seasoning and regretted it or like, that’s the only way I’ll eat it?
What temp was your smoker running at?
What internal temp did the Strip Steak finish at?

22f internal 135f. It was definitely Smokey but just tasted wrong without some of the other flavor enhancements rubs provide.
I like running Montreal Seaoning through my spice grinder. A couple pulses so it's finer. This works well on items that are not long cooks, like hamburgers and steaks.

Latest Discussions

Back