Series 3 Vertical Digital Electric Smoker: Very Dim Display

TonyI

Reaction score
Hi, all!

My Series 3 Vertical Digital Electric Smoker (2+ years old now) has a dim display (very difficult to see in sunlight and even in shade). There has been 1 control board replacement and internal thermometer replacement to address another issue (wildly inaccurate temperature readings). I love the smoker itself; just wish that the display was brighter. Also (and I have read the manual for the smoker), can someone that uses this unit please comment on the sequence of steps to initiate the startup? Do you set the temperature first and then the cook time, or the other way around? The control board seems to not respond when buttons are pushed. All opinions welcomed!!

Hi, all!

My Series 3 Vertical Digital Electric Smoker (2+ years old now) has a dim display (very difficult to see in sunlight and even in shade). There has been 1 control board replacement and internal thermometer replacement to address another issue (wildly inaccurate temperature readings). I love the smoker itself; just wish that the display was brighter. Also (and I have read the manual for the smoker), can someone that uses this unit please comment on the sequence of steps to initiate the startup? Do you set the temperature first and then the cook time, or the other way around? The control board seems to not respond when buttons are pushed. All opinions welcomed!!
Congratulations! As you are starting your PitBoss VERTICAL smoker journey, here’s some excellent advice, reminders and operational tips adapted from page member ADAM GRAHAM:

First: Actually READ the manual and when you finish it, read it again. Keep it handy for quick reference!!! Probably NOT in the manual are the NEW PitBoss Vertical startup procedures... see the attached photo.

Second: Your vertical DOES NOT NEED SEASONING like the horizontal barrel smokers do as there’s no raw steel to rust.

Third: by default, your rain cap ... yes it is just a rain cap... spin it wide open and it will give you the best air flow for quicker a startup and better temperature maintenance. You can adjust it to maintain temperatures in extremely low temperatures.

Fourth: move your water pan to keep it AWAY FROM the digital temperature probe in the back and that’ll help with any wild temp swings.

Note: That “handle” of your verticals heat diffuser is actually is a spacer and that goes to the back of the smoker to properly align your grease tray.

Fifth: The heavy white smoke you’ll see at startup is bad smoke that’ll make your food bitter, you want thin blue to almost clear smoke. Wait for the smoke to clear before putting the food in and closing the door.

Sixth: Yes, 50° temp swings with the non PID vertical smokers are absolutely normal and by design. Per PB customer service it is to help push smoke out and keep the smoke fresh. These temperature swings will tighten with patience, time and experience.

Seventh: at startup, with the door open, once the flame is roaring and the white smoke is out ... SLOWLY Turn your temp (in 50° increments) to 25° hotter than your planned cooking temp. Let it warm up to that temp for about 10 minutes and then turn down to your desired cook temp. It will help with the dreaded ERL error and stabilize your temp swings.

Eighth: YES, vacuum your fire pot out BEFORE EVERY session or one day you’ll wish you did!

Ninth: you CAN keep your pellets in your smoker at all times and they won’t get wet. Buy a PB cover and spray with some waterproofing spray for added protection.

Tenth: these awesome smoke machines are gravity fed so always start with your firepot clean, your hopper full and periodically stir your pellets to avoid flameouts from pellet voids.

Eleventh: Your flame tamer openings (if so equipped) must be side to side and NOT front to back to prevent grease and controller fires.

Twelfth: Be careful that you do not completely foil over the louvers on your water pan. If you destroy the cabinets air flow, you’ll create havoc with your temperature swings.

Thirteen: Per the manual, Verticals must have water in the water pan to avoid grease fires.

Fourteen: Experimentation builds experience!!! Smoke On!! Enjoy your PitBoss journey!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6311.jpeg
    IMG_6311.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 13
Back