Smoke stack lighting

teleman19

Reaction score
Hey guys, and gals. I just joined the site. I've owned my Austin XL for a number of years. The one I have is the last year they had the TP cover over the smoke stack. Over the years, I've really never had any serious issues. I've replaced the starter probably 4 times. So my issues are usually my fault. Just spent about 2 hours cleaning it out and scraping buildup out of the thing. When I got done I ran it up to 400 to melt away any remaining greese and wipe down my grates. Guess I shoud've tried to get as much as I could out of the smoke stack cause it caught fire. I know theres no paint on the interior but the thing got so hot it melted the paint on the smoke stacks exterior. on the bright side, the smoke stack interior is free of greese now. Although she's showing her age and battle scars. I usually use it for burgers, chicken and low and slow BBQ so I never run it so high. is it safe to use after melting the paint? Afer it cools down I'll take a sander and get the loose paint off the chimney so I'm thinking yes. Since it is on the outside. Just wanted to get other feedback or perspective on my latest blunder. Thanks. Plan on doing Pork Belly tonight, for all that heart stopping goodness.

Back