Smoker auger problem

Venthasse

Reaction score
I have a smoker auger motor that is not turning. I’ve replaced it with a new motor and it does the same thing, it rotates for about two seconds when it first turns on, and then does not rotate any further. Unplug it, plug it back in, turn it on, will do the same thing. What are my steps to troubleshoot?

There is a chance the auger is jammed. You will want to remove the actual auger and inspect it to see if there is any build up in it.

Also make sure the pin in the auger motor is secure to the auger.

I have already removed the auger to ensure there is nothing in the chamber. I then ran the motor and it did the same thing, ran for 2 to 3 seconds and stops. I installed a new motor and that did the same thing. I disconnected the motor from the auger and it still runs 2 to 3 seconds and stops. So, the problem has nothing to do with torque or tension, it has to be electrical load of a circuit or component and I would guess it is an internal short in a component or somehow something is going to ground causing heat to shut the system down.

Welcome from Texas to the group!
As @MikeInFla was saying it’s probably a jam. It also has to do with the pellets
Sometimes they are longer than usual
I’d dump them out of the hopper then sift through a colander then pour a few pellets in.
Check all of your connections plug it in and see if it operates correctly
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thanks for trying but read what I have done. Not only have I removed the auger and reinstalled it and turned it freely by hand before trying the motor, but I have also disconnected the motor and it continues to stop after a couple of seconds. It is not a jam, it is something else.

Any chance it is hooked up to the wrong harness?

Otherwise, are you getting any kind of error on the control panel. Perhaps the controller senses that something else is wrong, so it shuts down the auger as a safety precaution?

Thanks for trying but read what I have done. Not only have I removed the auger and reinstalled it and turned it freely by hand before trying the motor, but I have also disconnected the motor and it continues to stop after a couple of seconds. It is not a jam, it is something else.
Call pitboss support and have them send you a new controller

Back