SPL 156 code

Knilas

Reaction score
Plugged in my pellet smoker this morning and got a quick flash of this when I plugged it in. It only stays on the screen for a brief second then goes away. Nothing else happens. If I unplug then re-plug, I get the same flash on the screen.

Anyone else ever experience this? I cant find this referenced anywhere else, so I'm so reaching out to the forum members for help.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PB820.mp4
    10.9 MB
No. Cant imagine how anything could get disconnected, honestly. It's sat in the same spot since I bought it. Worked just fine 3 days ago. Always under cover. 🤷‍♂️
Check the fuse
Maybe it’s not all the way in
If that’s ok then it could be the controller
If it’s fiver years old or newer it’s under warranty
Call pitboss support 🇺🇸🇺🇸

The answer, via Pit Boss FAQ:

Error codes can pop up on your grill from time to time. Please refer to the owner’s manual for your grill for what may be causing the error codes.

If you see a code appear on your screen right after you plug the grill in, then the code disappears, this is not an error code. It is simply a programming code. This will show at startup and then disappear quickly, and the grill is still functioning properly. There are many programming codes that may appear, such as L01, L02, 126, 128, etc. They are no cause for concern.

The answer, via Pit Boss FAQ:

Error codes can pop up on your grill from time to time. Please refer to the owner’s manual for your grill for what may be causing the error codes.

If you see a code appear on your screen right after you plug the grill in, then the code disappears, this is not an error code. It is simply a programming code. This will show at startup and then disappear quickly, and the grill is still functioning properly. There are many programming codes that may appear, such as L01, L02, 126, 128, etc. They are no cause for concern.
I get something similar on my vertical smoker, L042 when it is first plugged in. (L042 is the type of circuit board / program used in the controller)

Contacted Pit Boss customer care for same SPL 156 error. They had me plug the grill in, push and hold the power button for 5 seconds and release then press twice. The grill started right up. They called it a control board hard reset. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back