Things shut off for no apparent reason

Panama

Reaction score
I'll be cooking happily away, then when one item gets done and I lift the lid to take off. Next thing I know, my temperature is dropping like the temps in winter. It is 50 degrees outside currently. Thermostat thinks I want 180 degrees. Leaves me the choice to see if I can fire the pit boss back up or just move it over to the gas grill. Did I miss something in the manual? PB 850

I'll be cooking happily away, then when one item gets done and I lift the lid to take off. Next thing I know, my temperature is dropping like the temps in winter. It is 50 degrees outside currently. Thermostat thinks I want 180 degrees. Leaves me the choice to see if I can fire the pit boss back up or just move it over to the gas grill. Did I miss something in the manual? PB 850
Welcome from Texas to the group
The temperature is going to drop when you open the lid but it’ll recover quickly
I have the 820
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Are you setting a done temperature on your meat probe. Sounds like your grill is seeing a set done temp and going into idle/warm mode.

Are you setting a done temperature on your meat probe. Sounds like your grill is seeing a set done temp and going into idle/warm mode.
I'd think we have a winner here. Since it hasn't done it all the time (that I know of), what activates the shutdown/warming?

Is that set when I a) select from icon what I'm cooking or b) entering temp manually or c) just by using the probe

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction .....

I'd think we have a winner here. Since it hasn't done it all the time (that I know of), what activates the shutdown/warming?

Is that set when I a) select from icon what I'm cooking or b) entering temp manually or c) just by using the probe

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction .....
If you set the probe to a certain temperature the grill will drop to 'smoke' mode when the probe reaches that temperature. Not sure if that is true for each probe port, but that is how it works for me on the main probe port.

Back