Titan igniter issues

Ken J

Reaction score
I’ve got a PB Titan. After 4 uses, the 5a fuse on the controller blew. After replacing it, got the igniter malfunction screen. After talking to PB tech, determined igniter was probably cracked. Replacement was ordered. On Backorder. Funny, I found 3 of them (exact manufacturer part that Pit Boss uses.) The problem I had was, after replacing the fuse, the igniter comes on full just by plugging the unit in. Still does it with all 3 of the replacements. PB still on backorder, but was told nothing could be accomplished till I get the part that they have to send. I’ve got a feeling that when that igniter shows up they will finally say it’s a controller issue.
Has anyone heard of this issue and is there maybe something else I’m missing? And if Pit Boss happens to monitor this, are there replacement controllers, and are they on back order also?

I’ve got a PB Titan. After 4 uses, the 5a fuse on the controller blew. After replacing it, got the igniter malfunction screen. After talking to PB tech, determined igniter was probably cracked. Replacement was ordered. On Backorder. Funny, I found 3 of them (exact manufacturer part that Pit Boss uses.) The problem I had was, after replacing the fuse, the igniter comes on full just by plugging the unit in. Still does it with all 3 of the replacements. PB still on backorder, but was told nothing could be accomplished till I get the part that they have to send. I’ve got a feeling that when that igniter shows up they will finally say it’s a controller issue.
Has anyone heard of this issue and is there maybe something else I’m missing? And if Pit Boss happens to monitor this, are there replacement controllers, and are they on back order also?
Welcome from Texas to the group!
Sorry your having issues right off the bat
As far as it coming on when plugged in it might have got the controller when fuse blew due to a short in the wiring
Have you checked all of that?
Another thing is to unplug it after each use. I learned that the hard way during a lightning strike
Let me know what you find
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Welcome from Texas to the group!
Sorry your having issues right off the bat
As far as it coming on when plugged in it might have got the controller when fuse blew due to a short in the wiring
Have you checked all of that?
Another thing is to unplug it after each use. I learned that the hard way during a lightning strike
Let me know what you find
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thanks for the welcome. With the controller being digital, about the only troubleshooting I found do on that was to see if I let the smoke out of any of the components. No burn marks on the board at all. I treat all my cooking utensils the same. When the cook is over, they get cleaned up and unplugged and put back to bed. Just frustration creeping in I guess.

If the igniter is coming on the second it’s plugged in, then that’s a known controller issue. Call CS back and have them start you one coming… they’ve been on back order for weeks.

Also…
Your controller has a new feature… pretty new to PitBoss. It’s an auto relight feature and whenever your barrel temperatures drop to a certain set point below your dial setting temperature, the igniter will activate to stop a possible flameout. Depending on your model of PITBOSS you may see the Igniter symbol come on during a smoke session… that the auto relight feature at work.

If it kept your smoker running,then it did its job and there’s no problem. It is fine and absolutely normal for your smoker.

If it throws the igniter ERROR and goes into shutdown, unfortunately that’s a known controller issue. Call customer service at 480-923-9630 Or 877-303-3134 for a replacement controller.

Smoke On!

Attachments

• IMG_6269.jpeg
    IMG_6269.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 11
That ain't right. The Titan is their latest and greatest, and expensive to boot. Have you tried to see if you can take it back and exchange it for a new one? How long have you had it?

If the igniter is coming on the second it’s plugged in, then that’s a known controller issue. Call CS back and have them start you one coming… they’ve been on back order for weeks.

Also…
Your controller has a new feature… pretty new to PitBoss. It’s an auto relight feature and whenever your barrel temperatures drop to a certain set point below your dial setting temperature, the igniter will activate to stop a possible flameout. Depending on your model of PITBOSS you may see the Igniter symbol come on during a smoke session… that the auto relight feature at work.

If it kept your smoker running,then it did its job and there’s no problem. It is fine and absolutely normal for your smoker.

If it throws the igniter ERROR and goes into shutdown, unfortunately that’s a known controller issue. Call customer service at 480-923-9630 Or 877-303-3134 for a replacement controller.

Smoke On!
Unfortunately, thats what I had tried to call them back for. The “team member” I talked to refused to do anything else till I get the back ordered igniter that they have to send me. The plan now is to start trying to work my way up their team ladder to get someone to realize that the problem is the controller. I appreciate the phone numbers. I didnt have those two. That may help.

Academy is the only distributor of the Titan. They only take back boxed and unused returns. Yesterday, I finally got to talk to a rep. that finally understood all the problems. Just waiting to get the email that says a new controller has shipped, and they are supposed to be in stock. We’ll see how it goes. I do appreciate the help on here.

Latest Discussions

Back