Trying to Understand Controllers

GeorgiaBoy

Reaction score
Very new to the smoking world. I impulsively jumped on a Costco deal and bought a Navigator 850GW a month or so ago. Love the grill and have no real complaints ( other than the connectivity/App). I've since been trying to learn about the different controllers and their features. I was surprised that my controller has 25/50 increments, not 5/10 like some of you have. Sure I can work around it like ya'll have done for years. Newbie remember.

I've read about PID controllers and generally understand the concept and I think that they are considered better and hold closer to set temps. Which controllers are PID? I don't see that mentioned in the descriptions on the pit boss website. How do you know?

Thanks!

Very new to the smoking world. I impulsively jumped on a Costco deal and bought a Navigator 850GW a month or so ago. Love the grill and have no real complaints ( other than the connectivity/App). I've since been trying to learn about the different controllers and their features. I was surprised that my controller has 25/50 increments, not 5/10 like some of you have. Sure I can work around it like ya'll have done for years. Newbie remember.

I've read about PID controllers and generally understand the concept and I think that they are considered better and hold closer to set temps. Which controllers are PID? I don't see that mentioned in the descriptions on the pit boss website. How do you know?

Thanks!
I assume any Pit Boss grill you can buy uses a PID (Proportional, Integral, Derivative) algorithm to maintain temperatures. Some grills also have P settings, also known as smoke settings, in addition to PID temp settings. When using P settings, the controller will then use timed pellet feed cycles. Here's a pretty good explanation of how a PID controllers work.

Last edited:
I assume any Pit Boss grill you can buy uses a PID (Proportional, Integral, Derivative) algorithm to maintain temperatures. Some grills also have P settings, also known as smoke settings, addition to PID temp settings. When using P settings, the controller will then use timed pellet feed cycles. Here's a pretty good explanation of how a PID controllers work.

Thanks for the link. But it states that Pit Boss offers both Standard and PID controllers. Good explanation of PID.

Thanks for the link. But it states that Pit Boss offers both Standard and PID controllers. Good explanation of PID.
I stand corrected. Here's a question about the differences between the Pro series and Sportsman series.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402_004654_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_004654_Chrome.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 31

Latest Discussions

Back