Ultimate 5 Burner Temperature Control?

nedryerson

Reaction score
I have had my Pit Boss Ultimate 5 Burner griddle for about two weeks. For the most part, I love it. But I'm having a difficult time keeping the temperature under control.

What I mean is, with all five burners turned on and set on the lowest setting (knobs fully counterclockwise), after about 8-10 minutes, the surface is, in my view, way too hot. Specifically, the "coldest" (i.e., lowest temperature) parts of the griddle surface (using an infrared temp gun) are about 450 degrees, and the hottest parts of the griddle surface are pushing (or even exceeding) 600 degrees.

Do any of y'all have ideas of what, if anything, I might be doing wrong? Or, if I'm not doing anything wrong, are there any possible suggested workarounds? Like maybe turning the propane tank to less-than-fully open? Or using, say, only the left, middle, and right burners on, and leaving the second and fourth burners off? Or something else?

I can return this to Best Buy for a full refund by Wednesday, so this inquiry is time-critical. Again, I like the design of the griddle a lot and would like to keep it. But if I can't get it lower than 450 degrees, I think I will return it. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

I have had my Pit Boss Ultimate 5 Burner griddle for about two weeks. For the most part, I love it. But I'm having a difficult time keeping the temperature under control.

What I mean is, with all five burners turned on and set on the lowest setting (knobs fully counterclockwise), after about 8-10 minutes, the surface is, in my view, way too hot. Specifically, the "coldest" (i.e., lowest temperature) parts of the griddle surface (using an infrared temp gun) are about 450 degrees, and the hottest parts of the griddle surface are pushing (or even exceeding) 600 degrees.

Do any of y'all have ideas of what, if anything, I might be doing wrong? Or, if I'm not doing anything wrong, are there any possible suggested workarounds? Like maybe turning the propane tank to less-than-fully open? Or using, say, only the left, middle, and right burners on, and leaving the second and fourth burners off? Or something else?

I can return this to Best Buy for a full refund by Wednesday, so this inquiry is time-critical. Again, I like the design of the griddle a lot and would like to keep it. But if I can't get it lower than 450 degrees, I think I will return it. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
I'm not sure if the ceramic top heats differently than the regular rolled steel top, but that was my first thought. Maybe the normal? My blackstone 36 had the opposite problem, I couldn't get it hot enough. I replaced the regulator with an adjustable one. I can now control the gas flow at the tank as well as the burners. In my case I use it to let more gas out to get higher temps but in yours you might use it to slow the flow.
20230813_081253.jpg

I'm not sure if the ceramic top heats differently than the regular rolled steel top, but that was my first thought. Maybe the normal? My blackstone 36 had the opposite problem, I couldn't get it hot enough. I replaced the regulator with an adjustable one. I can now control the gas flow at the tank as well as the burners. In my case I use it to let more gas out to get higher temps but in yours you might use it to slow the flow.View attachment 4542
Very interesting idea. I actually have one of those and may try it. Thanks!

Latest Discussions

Back