Vertical smoker won’t fire up

Harbaugh4

Reaction score
Hello, in need of some help. My fan does work but it’s very quiet and I don’t think it has enough power to start the flame on my smoker. The coil is red hot but every time I start up my hammer tone it just smokes out and never flames. I have to use a shop vac to suck air in to start the flame. Please help.

Do you hear the auger turning? Or just look at it. Take everything out, turn it on and see if you can see pellets falling in the fire pit.

I recently replaced the fan and the new one is much quieter. The auger spins and produces pellets but the pellets just smoke out and I get the blinking temp numbers on my control board because the flame won’t start. The igniter does work I just don’t think the fan moves enough air to get the flame started and idk how to fix this. Thank you for reaching out to my post I hope you can help me!

Did you get the fan from Pit Boss? If you buy and off brand some of those are not powerful enough to work. @DaveXDm9 might know more about them, I think he has mentioned them before.

Yes it’s a pitboss replacement! Should I request a new fan from pitboss?

If I were you I would call them but if they sent it then it is the right fan but may not be working properly

I called them and they said I should be starting my smoker with the door open until the flame is on. Is this true? I’ll give it a try but I doubt this will help

I called them and they said I should be starting my smoker with the door open until the flame is on. Is this true? I’ll give it a try but I doubt this will help
you should always do your start up with the cover open!
once you hear the roaring sound of the fire and the heavy smoke dissipates then you can close the cover and set your temperature.
Important to do it this way.

Tried starting it up with the door open. The smoker still only produced smoke without any fire and eventually a ErL code came up

Tried starting it up with the door open. The smoker still only produced smoke without any fire and eventually a ErL code came up
is your fire pot cleaned out completely?
ash can build up and cover the ignitor, or even the air flow holes in the sides of the fire pot. (make sure they are not blocked)
if you are getting smoke, the ignitor is getting hot, the fan needs to be running too, make sure it is.
if not, contact Pit Boss for a replacement fan.
I would take everything out of the smoker and try it so you can see just what is going on inside.
the auger needs to turn, the fan needs to blow air and the ignitor needs to get hot enough to burn pellets, it will produce lots of smoke and the forced air will cause ignition of the pellets, (fire in the pot). also make sure the air intake screen is clear and getting good air flow.
hope this helps, if all else fails, Call Pit Boss.

you can also make sure all the wire connections are good, check the little plugs for good contact.

Thanks for the help! I have noticed that the fan is very quiet. I can get it running if I use a shop vac to suck in more air but that’s the only way flame starts. I’ll give them a call

Yes always start with the door open on smoke setting. You will start to see smoke. Wait for the white smoke to clear and you will hear a roar of the flame. Then close the door and latch. Be careful trying to start these with the door closed. It can cause an explosion! A regular grill will just pop the lid but a vertical has glass that can break. ErL I think is the low code.

Back