• Used to but don’t now

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Don’t but curious to try it

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

hollrusl

Media
Reaction score
Just curious, do any of you use a water pan in you rig? Have you tried it in the past? Notice a difference either way?

Purely curious. I don’t use one and never really have given in any thought, but I have seen people mention using or recommended using one to others in various FB groups, so it had me curious.

Just curious, do any of you use a water pan in you rig? Have you tried it in the past? Notice a difference either way?

Purely curious. I don’t use one and never really have given in any thought, but I have seen people mention using or recommended using one to others in various FB groups, so it had me curious.
My smoker has the water pan built into it, so I use it all the time. I'll use a foil pan with water also under a Boston butt when smoking them to catch all of the grease.

My PB 4 has one and I do see a difference with my ribs if I fill or dont fill it
I’ve never tried ribs without. What’s the difference you’ve noticed?

Reason I always use water in the pan for smoking is I thought it helped steady inside temps and moisturize the meat.

Water pans are only required for vertical units per the manual to avoid grease fires because it’s also the drip tray.

Due to the nature of the mechanical design of this smoker, there’s no need for a water pan with the horizontals for all the reasons stated below. I have done both -with and without- at the beginning of this journey and my experience says No water pan is need to produce tender and juicy food in these smokers.

Also, Water pans are not needed in these horizontal smokers.... at low and slow Smoking temperatures <250°, the forced air combustion fan circulating air in the barrel and smoldering pellets do not strip the moisture from the air like stick burners do. And the controller algorithms monitor and regulate the barrel temperatures.

Stick burners who start using these smokers use water pans because they HAD to in their stick burners to stabilize the pits temperature and so it’s an ingrained habit. After smoking on these awhile they realize it’s not needed and it was a waste of valuable smoker space.

Attachments

• IMG_6849.jpeg
    IMG_6849.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 17
Water pans are only required for vertical units per the manual to avoid grease fires because it’s also the drip tray.

Due to the nature of the mechanical design of this smoker, there’s no need for a water pan with the horizontals for all the reasons stated below. I have done both -with and without- at the beginning of this journey and my experience says No water pan is need to produce tender and juicy food in these smokers.

Also, Water pans are not needed in these horizontal smokers.... at low and slow Smoking temperatures <250°, the forced air combustion fan circulating air in the barrel and smoldering pellets do not strip the moisture from the air like stick burners do. And the controller algorithms monitor and regulate the barrel temperatures.

Stick burners who start using these smokers use water pans because they HAD to in their stick burners to stabilize the pits temperature and so it’s an ingrained habit. After smoking on these awhile they realize it’s not needed and it was a waste of valuable smoker space.
This was my understanding as well. I was surprised to see the number of people recommending it. Bitch if one is happy with their results, that’s all that matters!

Back