Which shelf for one brisket?

JeffW

Reaction score
I’ll be cooking a 15 pound brisket on my new copperhead five vertical smoker. My initial thought is to place it on a shelf near the middle of the smoker such as the shelf one level above the internal temperature sensor. I will be using the water pan, but wonder if this is the best place. What about if in the future I’m doing different meats onto two or three shelves? Thanks!

I’ll be cooking a 15 pound brisket on my new copperhead five vertical smoker. My initial thought is to place it on a shelf near the middle of the smoker such as the shelf one level above the internal temperature sensor. I will be using the water pan, but wonder if this is the best place. What about if in the future I’m doing different meats onto two or three shelves? Thanks!
Welcome.
Middle is where I would place it.

My friend bought a new V5 4 days ago. His racks have designated slots and mine has movable slots. Joe's also has vents built into the smoker walls that distributes the smoke to each level. Yours may have this new hi-tech smoke system. You might place bean cans of veg oil on each level while your smoker comes up to temp. This way you will get a sense of where the temperature matches your set temp.

I have an old V5. My low rack gets really hot when water pan goes dry and the meat should be no less than a full 4 inches above what ever is below it, such as a hotel pan of beans.

Joe will be firing his up today. I may get some new Pit Boss schooling!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240705-100632_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240705-100632_Firefox.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back