Whisky still

Pete1983

Media
Reaction score
Ive had a lot of problems with my whiskey still this last year and decided to ask here. I searched the forums bit didn't find an answer. Thanks in advance for the help.

When it is running it will work fine one time then the next time will go nuclear and super heat. I didn't know if I should believe the controller so I put my bluetooth temp gauge on the middle rack and it was close to the controller temps. The whiskey still was set at 225 I believe and when I walked away and came back it was 400 and cranking with no sign of slowing down. The next time it worked fine for an hour or so then ran away again. It did not catch fire either as I keep it clean inside.

My thought was the temperature probe on the left side so I took it apart and removed the prob to check the wires. The wire was split but I don't know if that's actually the issue or not. Ive spent hours and hours on hold with pitboss and gave up then looked online. Its not easy to find the prob anywhere for the smoker as it was a Walmart special.

Is there any thoughts am I on the right track or is the heat issues caused by other factors? Is there a site I can find the actual part that I need?

Thanks again

Welcome from Texas to the group.
Try fixing the split wire if you can
Next thing is give it a thorough cleaning including the temperature sensor
I clean mine with dawn dishwashing liquid and a sponge. Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

I’d tough it out with customer support to get the split wire fixed if possible. Aside from what Cowboy recommended, anytime I’ve had runaway temps (only a couple times) I’ve simply shut it of, unplugged it, plugged it back in and it was perfectly fine from there. Sometimes the brains of the operation just start doing a little too much at once and needs a quick second to reset itself. Hope that helps!

Welcome from Texas to the group.
Try fixing the split wire if you can
Next thing is give it a thorough cleaning including the temperature sensor
I clean mine with dawn dishwashing liquid and a sponge. Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸
I bought some simple green grill cleaner and cleaned the whole smoker in and out to the point it almost looks new again. ( I went a little OCD ) and then cleaned the prob. It ran away that time too.

I will probably have to find time to call pit boss again and try to get parts. I’ve never gotten anyone to answer I end up on hold for literally hours. I do have time tomorrow so I’ll try again and see.

I’d tough it out with customer support to get the split wire fixed if possible. Aside from what Cowboy recommended, anytime I’ve had runaway temps (only a couple times) I’ve simply shut it off, unplugged it, plugged it back in and it was perfectly fine from there. Sometimes the brains of the operation just start doing a little too much at once and needs a quick second to reset itself. Hope that helps!
I don’t leave them plugged in. While I do but the bar is on a breaker that I shut off when I finish in the bar area.

It’s really got me baffled.

Ive had a lot of problems with my whiskey still this last year and decided to ask here. I searched the forums bit didn't find an answer. Thanks in advance for the help.

When it is running it will work fine one time then the next time will go nuclear and super heat. I didn't know if I should believe the controller so I put my bluetooth temp gauge on the middle rack and it was close to the controller temps. The whiskey still was set at 225 I believe and when I walked away and came back it was 400 and cranking with no sign of slowing down. The next time it worked fine for an hour or so then ran away again. It did not catch fire either as I keep it clean inside.

My thought was the temperature probe on the left side so I took it apart and removed the prob to check the wires. The wire was split but I don't know if that's actually the issue or not. Ive spent hours and hours on hold with pitboss and gave up then looked online. Its not easy to find the prob anywhere for the smoker as it was a Walmart special.

Is there any thoughts am I on the right track or is the heat issues caused by other factors? Is there a site I can find the actual part that I need?

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_7685.png
    IMG_7685.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 14
Back