Auger times in Smoke mode

onecoolpilot

Media
Reaction score
Greetings friends

I am a new owner of a PBV6PSE, this is the first smoker of any type I have owned/used.

I have a question about the Smoke mode on this unit. I go into the P settings, and changed it to P6, which says 18 seconds on, 140 seconds off. If I'm understanding correctly, after confirming this setting, I should hear the auger run for 18 seconds and then a pause for 140 before it comes on again. This is with the temp set to 225

I have counted, and it does run a little on and a little longer off, but it's not reaching the above times. Is this correct behavior and I'm misunderstanding what it should be doing, or is this an issue?

Greetings friends

I am a new owner of a PBV6PSE, this is the first smoker of any type I have owned/used.

I have a question about the Smoke mode on this unit. I go into the P settings, and changed it to P6, which says 18 seconds on, 140 seconds off. If I'm understanding correctly, after confirming this setting, I should hear the auger run for 18 seconds and then a pause for 140 before it comes on again. This is with the temp set to 225

I have counted, and it does run a little on and a little longer off, but it's not reaching the above times. Is this correct behavior and I'm misunderstanding what it should be doing, or is this an issue?
Hmm. That’s different than my model. When I set the the smoke mode my assumption was that the CP brain monitors the temp and adjusts the pellet feed/auger run accordingly. As it would for all target temps. This based on the probe temp reading.

Yours might be different, but when I'm on "S" mode, it is purely time based. I don't think the controller is actually using the ambient grill temp for anything except for displaying actual.

Are you on Smoke mode or are you set at 225? I can't do both on mine.

Mine is a little different. Instead of a temp dial, with S at the bottom and the temps going up as you turn it, mine has menus. I'll try attach some photos or a video, but I have to go into the P-Settings menu to set it to smoke or PID mode. The temp setting is (it seems) a different section.

Welcome from Texas to the group!
I have the 820 and use P4 setting. Never paid attention to the times but ive never had an issue either
Might be worth a phone call to pitboss support and see what they say about it
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

I may give them a call and check this coming week, but it seems to have done the job. I have a small smoke ring on the brisket from yesterday. This picture is from this morning, after sitting in the fridge overnight.

IMG_5860.png

Greetings friends

The whole pit boss smoke thing is useless. Customer service says they make a new kind of smoke that's invisible. Throw in a smoke tube or go buy a brand of grill/smoker that actually works. I have a pb700R2 and no smoke. Customer service was terrible

The whole pit boss smoke thing is useless. Customer service says they make a new kind of smoke that's invisible. Throw in a smoke tube or go buy a brand of grill/smoker that actually works. I have a pb700R2 and no smoke. Customer service was terrible
My question to you is , why do you find it useless?
I’ve always got a nice bark and smoke ring. Depends on what P setting you have it on.
As far as customer service bein terrible?
Everybody has an off day.
Personally? I’ve never had an issue with pitboss support
If the person your speakin to doesn’t seem knowledgeable to you ask to speak to a supervisor

My question to you is , why do you find it useless?
I’ve always got a nice bark and smoke ring. Depends on what P setting you have it on.
As far as customer service bein terrible?
Everybody has an off day.
Personally? I’ve never had an issue with pitboss support
If the person your speakin to doesn’t seem knowledgeable to you ask to speak to a supervisor
Agree…as far as smoke….
Todays project is a pork butt. 230ish with a couple tubes after a couple hours. Looks smoky to me
IMG_8214.jpeg

That's what customer support said to adjust P setting. First thing i did was gave my model number. They told me to adjust P setting and do something with the chimney. Well you know what the 700R2 ain't got no P setting and it ain't no chimney

That's what customer support said to adjust P setting. First thing i did was gave my model number. They told me to adjust P setting and do something with the chimney. Well you know what the 700R2 ain't got no P setting and it ain't no chimney
I agree - that must be frustrating. I went to the Pit Boss website to check out your grill. I had never seen that controller style before, and yes, there is no P-setting (not that I doubted you - I just wanted to understand). It does seem like the CS person you talked to was thinking of a different model with P-settings and a chimney.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the smoke output. Even if you can't adjust the P-setting, you should still get a smokey flavor. I believe most of us keep it at the default P4 setting which is possibly what yours is locked in at. But we also use a smoke tube because pellet grills in general (even the Traeger you keep mentioning) do have limitations when compared to offset smokers. They are all using similar logic, mechanics, and fuel, so the results will be similar. I think the Weber SmokeFire is one of the exceptions to the rule, where they tried a different design to create more smoke flavor.

You could always try a different brand of pellets (I think people really like LumberJack and Bear Mountain for more smoke output). Remember, good clean smoke is the best kind of smoke. Not the billowy white stuff that pumps out when you first start your grill.

We are here to help you as much as we can. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
So did you explain that to them before you got off the phone?

Latest Discussions

Back