Austin XL pid controller

Logan D

Media
Reaction score
Pit boss guys and girls out there with Austin XL grill who are tired of temp swings and factory controller mapping I know pit boss offers a Wi-Fi Bluetooth controller upgrade for this grill and I also know it’s junk.. Some guys got lucky and were able to purchase a pid controller from rec teq But they no longer offer sales of that controller. so I got a hold of pit boss and ordered a pid controller off of a pro series to grill some minor trimming was required to install the controller Within the hour test run I saw a maximum temp swing of 3° Pit boss wants 150 some dollars for the upgraded controller for the Austin XL. I called and they sold me this for 95 great buy!

Attachments

• 5BB69776-1867-445B-9DF8-DBCD14BB1117.jpeg
    5BB69776-1867-445B-9DF8-DBCD14BB1117.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 2026C0D4-C49F-4BCA-9F28-F01262044859.jpeg
    2026C0D4-C49F-4BCA-9F28-F01262044859.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 959
How is the install? Looks like you had to make a complete face plate to mount it (seems like a smaller opening).
Also, how is the wiring (anything have to be rewired)?
Finally, how's the smoke (it seems their settings don't produce alot of smoke, as compared to the settings that other manufactures use)?

How is the install? Looks like you had to make a complete face plate to mount it (seems like a smaller opening).
Also, how is the wiring (anything have to be rewired)?
Finally, how's the smoke (it seems their settings don't produce alot of smoke, as compared to the settings that other manufactures use)?
I cut out a very small strip at the top of the existing hole. ( 1/2 inch or so) with a cut off wheel on a die grinder. I assume a Dremel would do the trick. The connectors are plug n play all multax connectors like the old one and same color wires to same component as the old as well. People say pid controllers don’t “smoke” as much but honestly I have yet to see a difference. This grill is not insulated so it’s running the auger often enough to produce a good amount. Lastly. It works flawlessly. Did three racks of ribs the day after install and I could not be happier. Love it! Thanks for the questions my man.

that is awesome that PB allow you to buy it and what did they charge you for it? My Yoder PID grill produces a done of smoke and when I had the Savannah Smoker it produced more smoke than PB grill, but not the same amount that my Yoder is producing.

Rect-Tec is coming out with a new design of there grill with a new PID controller so not sure when that is going to happen. It was mention on the Food network talking about smoking on a Pellet grill.

that is awesome that PB allow you to buy it and what did they charge you for it? My Yoder PID grill produces a done of smoke and when I had the Savannah Smoker it produced more smoke than PB grill, but not the same amount that my Yoder is producing.

Rect-Tec is coming out with a new design of there grill with a new PID controller so not sure when that is going to happen. It was mention on the Food network talking about smoking on a Pellet grill.
It was about 100 bucks to my door. Super reasonable.

Hey Logan

Do you by any chance have the reps name at Pit Boss on your sales ticket. I am trying to buy the same PID controller you got from PB and they said they do not sell it as a Service Part. If you have the part number as well that will be great.

I ordered the Bluetooth Controller and installed it. But, I was surprised that NO PAPERWORK or INSTRUCTIONS came with it as to how to set it up. Anyone know about this?

I have some difficulties with the Bluetooth on my phone. I set up the IT app and it seems to work but it is almost like I have to reinstall it everytime.

As well, frankly, I am seeing huge temp swings with the controller. I installed a heat deflector so the sensor isn't exposed to the gap from the plate setting over the burn pot. But that didn't seem to offer any relief.

I don't feel the need to obsess about the temp swings themselves as long as the probes are giving me accurate temps on the meat.

The thermometer on the barrel seems to be more accurate.

I cut out a very small strip at the top of the existing hole. ( 1/2 inch or so) with a cut off wheel on a die grinder. I assume a Dremel would do the trick. The connectors are plug n play all multax connectors like the old one and same color wires to same component as the old as well. People say pid controllers don’t “smoke” as much but honestly I have yet to see a difference. This grill is not insulated so it’s running the auger often enough to produce a good amount. Lastly. It works flawlessly. Did three racks of ribs the day after install and I could not be happier. Love it! Thanks for the questions my man.
Hey Logan

Do you by any chance have the reps name at Pit Boss on your sales ticket. I am trying to buy the same PID controller you got from PB and they said they do not sell it as a Service Part. If you have the part number as well that will be great.
Bump for part number (or any other identification info on the part to order), if you have it, Logan.

I was able to get one and started hooking it up today. I tested it and it seems to work, but I still have to trim up the sheet metal so it can fit snug. I’ve attached pics of what you may need to order one. However, I did call Pit Boss the first time and they wouldn’t sell me one with the serial number from my Austin XL so I called again and gave them the serial number from my neighbors 850 Pro Series. I told them I broke it and needed a replacement. You could probably get a serial number from a Lowe’s display model if you had to.

Attachments

• 0D3DAA3B-2021-4391-B8AE-4007F6B8B568.jpeg
    0D3DAA3B-2021-4391-B8AE-4007F6B8B568.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 415
  • 4B77D7CC-2E8E-44B0-BC3F-526458D8386E.jpeg
    4B77D7CC-2E8E-44B0-BC3F-526458D8386E.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 417
Back