Brisket - Fat Side Down or Up?

Love me some ribs !!
Wife buys that Stubbs in sugar free.
You won’t be disappointed trust me 🇺🇸🇨🇱
We’ve had both kind of sauces before I like them so I’m sure it’ll be good.
Also, I intended this post to go into another topic but I goofed up. Sorry about that.
If you can move it, feel free to do so.

I cooked this 15 pound brisket two weeks ago on my Traeger Ironwood XL fat side up, and as you can see there's lots of bark.

Attachments

• IMG_5833.jpeg
    IMG_5833.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I always run fat cap up but I have a Heavy D deflector over my fire pot, a pizza stone on the bottom rack of my 1600 directly over the fire pot, and then a pan to catch the drippings on that. The brisket goes on my middle rack. With all that protection I never have an issue with cooking fat cap up directly over the fire pot.

I have always done Brisket fat cap up on my Reverse Flow and WSM. I also score the fat in a cross hatch pattern to let the rub penetrate down to the meat.
Y'all have got me to thinking now. I am new to smoking brisket on a pellet grill! I would place it up on the middle rack and place a foil pan underneath, but I agree that the heat is coming from below on this smoker. What to do? What to do?
Brisket is on sale here tomorrow....... (if you can call $4.88 / lb a sale! LOL)

Latest Discussions

Back