Brisket flat came out dry and tough. Please help

Edy399

Reaction score
So I cooked a brisket today for roughly 13 hours. 250 for about 10 hours and the last 3 at 270. Roughly a 10lb brisket, the flat came out dry and tough but I defiantly think I cooked for long enough. Could it just be that I got a bad brisket with no inter muscular fat? I wrapped when internal was at 165 in butcher paper.

So I cooked a brisket today for roughly 13 hours. 250 for about 10 hours and the last 3 at 270. Roughly a 10lb brisket, the flat came out dry and tough but I defiantly think I cooked for long enough. Could it just be that I got a bad brisket with no inter muscular fat? I wrapped when internal was at 165 in butcher paper.
What was your final internal temp?

So you think I overcooked it?
Honestly hard to say. What was the temp of the brisket when you pulled it off the smoker? If it was truly 110 then it was undercooked. I wouldn't say that was the case after 13 hours. Seems odd

I probed multiple times it was at 110 for a solid 30 minutes, my point came out fine I think I just got a bad brisket with no inter muscular fat on the flat.

I probed multiple times it was at 110 for a solid 30 minutes, my point came out fine I think I just got a bad brisket with no inter muscular fat on the flat.
I'm sorry but if you wrapped at 165 how was it done at 110? Sorry I'm not able to help. Maybe I missed something.

I would say over cooked meat temp will climb as it rest next time pull it a 190 or 195 let it rest .on the other hand make sure your meat probe on the smoker is accurate .I use a hand held to check my meat temps knowing my probe temps are off a few degrees its not the end of the world your learning and smoking is a learning thing have fun

I would say over cooked meat temp will climb as it rest next time pull it a 190 or 195 let it rest .on the other hand make sure your meat probe on the smoker is accurate .I use a hand held to check my meat temps knowing my probe temps are off a few degrees its not the end of the world your learning and smoking is a learning thing have fun
I use a couple probes just in case my placement is off on one. Latest pork butt had one probe showing a 5-6 degree difference from the other.

Back