Center grate sections get too hot

kodepa

Reaction score
Just purchased a 820 from Academy Sports last Sunday. Smoked pork belly burnt ends on it yesterday. Issue I'm having is the center grate section that is right over the burn can gets extremely hot, enough to burn my ends. The sliding grate section was closed. Is anyone else having this issue? Any insight would help. Thanks

Just purchased a 820 from Academy Sports last Sunday. Smoked pork belly burnt ends on it yesterday. Issue I'm having is the center grate section that is right over the burn can gets extremely hot, enough to burn my ends. The sliding grate section was closed. Is anyone else having this issue? Any insight would help. Thanks
does yours have the new sliding grate with the slots or the solid one?
I think the slotted one lets more heat thru, I also get ashes sneaking thru mine at times.
I may order the solid one and modify it so the slide handle will slide it farther to expose the entire opening underneath

When I smoke a pork butt I always move to the left or the right and place a pan of water on the side the pork butt is not on. The center is going to be the hot point since it is directly over the fire pot.

Back