Fire goes out

hueyce

Reaction score
The last 2 times I tried to do a low and slow smoke my fire has went out and the auger kept feeding to try and get the temperature up. Last night I put 2 brisket points on at 200 degrees, I watched the smoker for a couple hours without opening the lid and everything was going well, a little temp swing but nothing major. This morning ( roughly 7 hours later) I went out to check the smoker and the temp was flashing 65 degrees, when I opened the lid to investigate it erupted in flames. I got the meat off the smoker and the racks off before it got really hot. When I lifted the burner cover the entire bottom of smoker was covered in pellets and starting to burn like hell. I unplugged the smoker and eventually got the pellets out and the fire out. I cleaned the burner out and plugged it back in and decided to check it and it works fine. WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON?

The last 2 times I tried to do a low and slow smoke my fire has went out and the auger kept feeding to try and get the temperature up. Last night I put 2 brisket points on at 200 degrees, I watched the smoker for a couple hours without opening the lid and everything was going well, a little temp swing but nothing major. This morning ( roughly 7 hours later) I went out to check the smoker and the temp was flashing 65 degrees, when I opened the lid to investigate it erupted in flames. I got the meat off the smoker and the racks off before it got really hot. When I lifted the burner cover the entire bottom of smoker was covered in pellets and starting to burn like hell. I unplugged the smoker and eventually got the pellets out and the fire out. I cleaned the burner out and plugged it back in and decided to check it and it works fine. WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON?
Welcome from Texas to the group!
How often do you clean it?
A dirty grill will cause this.
I clean mine and the temperature sensor after each cook
How old is your grill?
Could be a controller issue
If it’s less than five years old it’s under warranty
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

You didn’t state which Pit Boss grill you had. My first one was a Lexington and I had problems with the controller with a different problem. I replaced the controller and that one gave me a problem with a stable temp. That’s when I learned about the “P” function. Not sure you have a “P4” showing up when you are in smoke mode, but if you do, here’s an article that will help you:

Hope this helps!

Back