Firmware issues

MDZ

Reaction score
I have the pro series elite 6 PBV6PSE. the Pit boss application on my phone and the controller on the smoker have been working wonderfully since I got them. That was up until a few days ago. The application updated on September 6 and now nothing works. It is currently on version 1.1.4
The application opens and shows the grill as connected. But when you try to control the grill, the application says that a critical firmware update is needed in order to make it compatible with the application. It begins the process of updating, but then it crashes and says it cannot be done.

I'm stuck. I've tried unplugging the unit and holding the power button down (aka factory reset) I've uninstalled and reinstalled the application. I've removed the grill from my profile and re-added it. Nothing.

Last edited:
Welcome from Texas to the group!
Give pitboss support a call
This is why I have no interest in having that on my grill. I do have a app for my four probe thermometer but you don’t have issues with those
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸
A call to customer support was a waste of time. Their response is "we know the new app doesn't work, sorry". And that's the end of it. For now, the digital controller paired with the phone app is a feature that just does not work. Maybe someday they will fix it. It was really nice when it used to work.

I experienced the same thing but it wanted to update after I started my cook, more like it wouldnt give anymore info till it was updated. Nothing more frustrting when trying to smoke and the app "UPDATE" quits working, and I guess it never did work?? LOL
PS. I have the 850

This answered a question I had: Do I spend a little more for the wifi enable smoker or not. I guess not! I'm planning on getting an Austin XL in a few weeks. I already have a bluetooth three probe temp monitor from my stick burner smoker that I think I'll continue using when I get the Austin XL.

This answered a question I had: Do I spend a little more for the wifi enable smoker or not. I guess not! I'm planning on getting an Austin XL in a few weeks. I already have a bluetooth three probe temp monitor from my stick burner smoker that I think I'll continue using when I get the Austin The wifi is nice for controlling it

The wifi is nice for controlling it and you still can without it via the temp control dial. Its sense this update (I havent retried it sense last week) it had issues. Thats the only reason I use wifi, is for remote temp viewing and changing the temp.. I shoulld add that its nice for turning the smoker off as its about impossible to get the on/off button to turn off.

I just got my 1150 on monday...i couldnt control my unit until I ran the update...first two times it tried it failed over blue tooth only...and then randomly when i tried later in the day wifi connected and i was able to get the update pretty fast. So far its worked ok since then. But I havent actually done a cook yet.

An Update;
I tried it last weekend and it worked great from the get-go, never had any pop-up about app/update/etc, and it's the right version. I wanted till this weekend to try it one more time to ensure its good, but if it isn't, I will repost, otherwise all is good. ):(

I have the same issue. It starts then gets about 60% complete then tells me it failed. Tried several times with different combos with no luck. There also needs to be a way to do the update on your convenience, not when doing a cook. Disappointed with nearly a thousand bucks in the smoker and one of the biggest features that I purchased this one does not work. When should we expect a fix and some communication from a Pitt Boss?

I was referring to the elite 6 PBV6PSE in my previous post
That’s why I don’t want this feature
I use a handheld thermometer and I also have a stand alone four probe meat thermometer and a app on my phone. Never have an issue
IMG_8176.jpeg

Back