First Brisket On My Pit Boss

Thank you! I'm very pleased how it turned out. I finished cutting that one, just checked my flat in the cooler, it's sitting at 150° still.

Took the drippings from my catch pan in the smoker, strained that, and separated the fat from it. Also, collected the broth from the wraps, gonna separate the fat from that, save and use to make gravy for mashed potatoes to go with it in the future.

Thank you all again for the kind words and encouragement. I was nervous as hell with this long cook.

But, it was worth it, for sure.

The flat was super tender, but a little dry, I can add some of the drippings and revive it nicely. I will pull the next flat much earlier.

Some of it just shredded, so I put it in a couple containers, gonna turn it into some shredded sammiches for lunch at work.

I learned alot from this one cook, no place to go but up.

I believe you have three choices when you hit the stay. One you can leave it cook which will be a little dry. Two you can turn it up to finish the cook and also can be a little dry. Three wrap it anytime around 150*-160*and finish the cook. You can still turn it up alittle to finish sooner, and it still will be juicy.

I believe you have three choices when you hit the stay. One you can leave it cook which will be a little dry. Two you can turn it up to finish the cook and also can be a little dry. Three wrap it anytime around 150*-160*and finish the cook. You can still turn it up alittle to finish sooner, and it still will be juicy.
It was at the stall for a long time.

Next time, I will definately wrap sooner. I believe it will turn out even juicier than it was, and it might even shave some time off the cook.

My flat could have been pulled off sooner, it was a bit drier. I was able to revive it with some of the broth jelly.

Looking forward to the next cook, learned alot from this one.

If I'm not pressed for time, I'd bump the temp and ride it out.
Crutching your chunk of meat is done to prevent the long stall.
If you've waited through the stale for temp to start rising this means your roast has quit sweating and evaporative cooling has ceased.
The idea of crutching (wrapping) is to put your meat in a tiny, tight cavity where the humidity is 100% thereby preventing the evaporation of meat juices from cooling meat surface. High temperature cooking negates evaporative cooling bc juices aren't released fast enough for this effect.
Aluminum foil completely seals the roast whereas pink paper allows some breathing. The masters of this are pitt masters with a hell of alot of briskets, ribs and butts on the same smoker!
And now guys are using boats!
Oh jeez...lol

Latest Discussions

Back