grill keep tripping the breaker

drain100

Reaction score
getting frustrated, just need some input on how to fix.

I turn the grill on, set to temp, starts fine, fire lights. when it gets to around 200 (maybe some days 250-275) it will trip the breaker. used it on both GFI and regular, does not matter. can reset the breaker, turn it back on, runs few seconds trips again. using 20A outlets.

used with an extension cord, without and extension, does not matter, still trips.

Read something about the lighter end sticking out too far in the fire basket? what would that have to do with it?

Was thinking may the auger was getting jammed up. kind of like any electrical device, the harder it has to work the more amps its pulls. but that is a pain to pull back out and clean out. (may try that again if nothing else works)

just curious if anyone has found a good fix for this issue. just starting happening about 3 weeks ago. Grill is about 2 years old.

thank

drain100 _ arkansas

Let me know what you are finding. Mine is playing that game too. I got a "smart plug" to check out the draws when it kicks but haven't had time to dig into it yet. Mine is on a AF/GF breaker, which as a whole the panels are making me nuts, but hey it's code. The breaker is showing AF and GF when I reset it so there is definitely something going on in the smoker.

When I start digging into it I'll post what I find

Ahhh yep yep yep.

Actually 3 different ones. It should be trackable since it's getting worse.
Per Pit Boss FAQ:
"If the GFCI continues to trip after checking these things, then many times it is the igniter that needs to be replaced. Please contact our Pit Boss Customer Care Team for further assistance and troubleshooting."

Might be worth a shot. Instead of waiting on Pit Boss customer service, you can get a replacement igniter from Amazon for less than $20 and you'll get it fast. If it doesn't fix it, you can send it back or keep it for a back up.

Per Pit Boss FAQ:
"If the GFCI continues to trip after checking these things, then many times it is the igniter that needs to be replaced. Please contact our Pit Boss Customer Care Team for further assistance and troubleshooting."

Might be worth a shot. Instead of waiting on Pit Boss customer service, you can get a replacement igniter from Amazon for less than $20 and you'll get it fast. If it doesn't fix it, you can send it back or keep it for a back up.
Good tip. Thanks.

ETA
On order. 2 pack for 16 bucks.

Last edited:

I turn the grill on, set to temp, starts fine, fire lights. when it gets to around 200 (maybe some days 250-275) it will trip the breaker. used it on both GFI and regular, does not matter. can reset the breaker, turn it back on, runs few seconds trips again. using 20A outlets.

used with an extension cord, without and extension, does not matter, still trips.

Read something about the lighter end sticking out too far in the fire basket? what would that have to do with it?

Was thinking may the auger was getting jammed up. kind of like any electrical device, the harder it has to work the more amps its pulls. but that is a pain to pull back out and clean out. (may try that again if nothing else works)

just curious if anyone has found a good fix for this issue. just starting happening about 3 weeks ago. Grill is about 2 years old.

thank

drain100 _ arkansas
Had a similar issue but only had GF trips and not breaker trips. Sometimes it would happen immediately, sometimes after a few minutes and one time after multiple hours. Was able to finish my cooks by plugging into a non-GF circuit.

I replaced the GF outlet since I thought it might be old and sensitive. Same issues.

Finally called pit boss support and received a new igniter about a week later. I’m about 4 cooks in with no issues. Crossing my fingers.

thank

drain100 _ arkansas
You still out there? How's it going? Did you get it fixed?

Latest Discussions

Back