Hard to maintain 225

mwemaxxowner

Media
Reaction score
Hi y'all!

I have a KC Combo, and overall love the thing.

My last two cooks I encountered this same issue both times.

I wanted to smoke at 225, but it would struggle to maintain 225. It would run about 160-170. The display on the screen showed that actual temp and also showed it was set to 225.

If I bumped the temperature up it would have no trouble heating up. It could get to and would hold 250ish. 275, etc. I even did a burn to 500 on high before cleaning it out. It had no trouble getting 500 degrees and didn't take longer than normal. I had it set to 225 for the first 2 or 3 hours and it just hovered 160-170. That was also verified with temperature probes inside the barrel.

I have a new control board in the unit because I was having trouble with the power button and the temp sensors had both quit working. I have a mind to put the old board back in and see how it does with that one.

Aside from that, I'd like to hear opinions on what's going on. I find it peculiar that it can actually get to temp just fine if I set it higher. I will try fresh pellets, but since it has no trouble heating to 250 or higher I doubt that's the issue.

Thanks y'all.

Looks like you've done your research and have already tried everything most of us would suggest. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, hopefully someone else might have a suggestion for you. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this works out. Good luck to you!

I tried that too. 😓 It fell back to 160 ish. It doesn't make any sense to me. I'm going to strip it down completely, empty all pellets, clean the bajeezus out of it and try again. Then if I get the same results I'll put the old controller back in and see if it still has the same issue. I might also get a welding blanket to cover it.

I also have a KC Combo I used to smoke my Prime Rib on Thanksgiving. In the beginning I started with the temp swings when trying to get a 225. I would go from 180 to 240, up and down. I finally got annoyed and gave the temp sensor an additional cleaning and it fixed the issue. I swore I cleaned it at the end of the last cook but I guess I didn't.

I also have a KC Combo I used to smoke my Prime Rib on Thanksgiving. In the beginning I started with the temp swings when trying to get a 225. I would go from 180 to 240, up and down. I finally got annoyed and gave the temp sensor an additional cleaning and it fixed the issue. I swore I cleaned it at the end of the last cook but I guess I didn't.
I did not notice any swing, but I do wonder if that's what was happening. I put the meat on at midnight and got up every two hours to check. However, I spent about an hour each time I laid down watching my PB app wondering what the heck was going on! 😆 I kept expecting to see it command a big pellet drop and temp shoot way high but I never saw it happen.

When I test it again, it'll likely be warmer weather, as it's rare for us to have 30 and 40 degree weather, especially during the day. I don't often do an overnight cook so next time it'll probably be during the day and 50-70 degrees.

There's not much I can do about the wind. This sits on the patio by my pool and it would be tough to get it anywhere that might offer more shelter. If I fashion my own insulated blanket for it though, I hope that might help a little bit. I've yet to see any premade for the KC Combo.

I doubt there's much of a real problem at hand, I've just got to work my way to the bottom of it.

On the plus side, I made the best brisket to date! My previous two were dry. This one was nice and juicy! Everybody loved it.

Hi y'all!

I wanted to smoke at 225, but it would struggle to maintain 225. It would run about 160-170. The display on the screen showed that actual temp and also showed it was set to 225.

If I bumped the temperature up it would have no trouble heating up. It could get to and would hold 250ish. 275, etc. I even did a burn to 500 on high before cleaning it out. It had no trouble getting 500 degrees and didn't take longer than normal. I had it set to 225 for the first 2 or 3 hours and it just hovered 160-170. That was also verified with temperature probes inside the barrel.

I have a new control board in the unit because I was having trouble with the power button and the temp sensors had both quit working. I have a mind to put the old board back in and see how it does with that one.

Aside from that, I'd like to hear opinions on what's going on. I find it peculiar that it can actually get to temp just fine if I set it higher. I will try fresh pellets, but since it has no trouble heating to 250 or higher I doubt that's the issue.

Thanks y'all.
Have you checked your new smoker for the PitBoss air gap issue and done the air gap mod to fix it yet?

Air Gap Modification - Models Affected: Austin XL 1000 and Rancher XL 1000, 1000SC, 1000t2, 1000t3, 1000t4, ProSeries 1100, KC Combo, Charleston, PB 500, 1250 and 550 Sportsman, ProSeries 600, ProSeries 1150, 1600 Pro and Elite, and Navigator 550 & 1150 and Laredo 1000.

Unfortunately there is a well known, but easily corrected, design anomaly in some units ... a gap between the bottom of the drip tray and the top of the left side grease tray lip that allows firepot heat to blow directly on the digital temperature probe... it’s causes slower startups, flameouts and other temperature related issues.

Since the firepot heat is blowing directly on the digital temperature probe, It’ll cause the smoker to flameout for no apparent reason. It’ll cause a flameout because the digital temperature probes temperature readings are falsely reading too high; it causes the digital temperature probe to register higher than your set temperatures. And that’ll cause a flameout every time … shutting down the auger and starving your fire of pellets

The air gap mod is a big deal on the Austin XL , the pro series 1100, PS2 1150, 1600, Laredo and basically ANY 1000 inch barrels AND the KC Combo. It takes them forever to settle down especially in the Smoke setting, and that's why, when people have them set to Smoke they're wondering why it's up around 250 or 300 degrees ... and it's all because the firepot heat is all blowing on that digital probe. Do the mod and it registers the temperatures correctly and it settles them right down.

Additionally, a QUICK and simple foil fix will work ... Fold sufficient aluminum foil to cover the gap from side to side and put in place. Try 4-5 layers … Done right, the foil will fold over and sit on top of the drip tray and this quick fix blocks the firepot heat from blowing directly on the temperature probe.

A detailed Instructional Video is below ... AND the Video is also in Announcements section of this page ... and if you’re interested, the prefabricated mod plate available at https://smokeslikeaboss.com/

This video explains better ..

Attachments

• IMG_9177.jpeg
    IMG_9177.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9175.jpeg
    IMG_9175.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9697.jpeg
    IMG_9697.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 19
Hi y'all!

Thanks y'all.
The old PID controllers that exhibited those issues were flawed.
Call Danson’s customer service at 480-923-9630 Or 480-542-9449 for information or suggestions for the new app, or operating assistance or for a warranty registration or parts replacement under your 5 year warranty.

In Canada: Phone: 1-877-942-2246 And 877-303-3134 and 877-942-2246 are the Danson’s tech line.

Also definitely leave your phone number for call back if prompted to.

You can also Try the chat feature on the PitBoss website. https://pitboss-grills.com/

If your controller is the issue, they can diagnose it and get it replaced under warranty for you.

Back