"HEAVY D" Stick burning heat diffuser

I am using hickory splits and the smoke output is fantastic! Smoke daddy recommends to keep the lid cracked open a bit to keep the temp under control to to the extra fire in the smoke daddy. I've noticed it was running about 75 degrees hotter while the splits were burning so I set the 1600 on the smoke setting and it hovered around 250

So I would definitely say all the hassle trying to get to today where I was finally able to use the Heavy D was definitely worth it. The smoke flavor was phenomenal. As I stated in a previous post it ran about 75 degrees hotter than the temp I set due to the splits burning. I would definitely recommend the Heavy D for pit boss if it will fit over your burn pot. Just so you have a reference, The gap between the perforated pieces that fit on either side of your burn pot is 5.5 inches apart as it comes from Smoke daddy. If your burnpot is less than 5.5 inches wide it should fit your grill. I'm glad I had it modified to fit my 1600. It kicked the smoke flavor up a couple notches for sure!
20210822_162558.jpg
20210822_175744.jpg

Last edited:
Hi! PB1600PS1 user. I've been doing as much reading on the Heavy D as I can before I pull the trigger. Your post has me optimistic, but the welding was going to be a huge hurdle. I emailed the company about the issues you describe and contact, Dan Seppala, said they are aware of the issue and will be making more in the coming months with the measurements corrected. He also said he will keep my info and let me know when they are available. I know this doesn't help with all the trouble you had to go through, but for those who may be interested, there's hope!
I just bought the HEAVY D stick burning heat diffuser from Smoke daddy Inc. I saw on the website that there was an option for a new version that fits pitboss grills. I held off buying the original version because to make it fit they wanted you to flatten the rounded drip pan. I was curious so I just called them and was told that the cut 1 inch of hight off of the original HEAVY D so it fits pitboss grills now. I can't wait to try it out. Has anyone ever used a HEAVY D before? I curious if anyone has any

Hi! PB1600PS1 user. I've been doing as much reading on the Heavy D as I can before I pull the trigger. Your post has me optimistic, but the welding was going to be a huge hurdle. I emailed the company about the issues you describe and contact, Dan Seppala, said they are aware of the issue and will be making more in the coming months with the measurements corrected. He also said he will keep my info and let me know when they are available. I know this doesn't help with all the trouble you had to go through, but for those who may be interested, there's hope!
Yeah when I contacted Dan he wasn't aware of the issue. I told him what I had to do to get it to fit. I sent him pictures and measurements. Maybe other 1600 owners contacted him as well and got the ball rolling. Good to know that they are working on it.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I have a Laredo 1000 and am considering one. Out of curiosity, do you find yourself propping the lid open to dissipate extra heat or does the PID controller still do a pretty good job of keeping the temp in the right spot?

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I have a Laredo 1000 and am considering one. Out of curiosity, do you find yourself propping the lid open to dissipate extra heat or does the PID controller still do a pretty good job of keeping the temp in the right spot?
I prop the lid open.

Latest Discussions

Back