Igniter Not Heating Up.

Wilsonsk

Reaction score
My 4 year old 700 grill didn’t start up a week ago or so, I assumed I had a jam in the pellet feed auger but after I took it apart I found that was not plugged, in the process I pinched my temp probe so I got an error code, I ordered a new probe and after installing that it seemed to start up but I it wasn’t lighting. I pulled the grates and plate and found a big pile of pellets. It wasn’t lighting. I checked the fuse and it was good. I ordered and installed a new igniter, still doesn’t light up. I checked voltage when running, it’s 63 volts AC. I assume that should be 120? I checked the fan voltage, that was 120. Is my controller bad?

Edit: I disconnected the igniter and powered it up from a different 120 volt source, it’s lighting now, I also tested 120 volts at the controller igniter plug while the igniter was unplugged. When I connect the igniter to the plug on the board it pulls it down to 63 volts.
Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:
My 4 year old 700 grill didn’t start up a week ago or so, I assumed I had a jam in the pellet feed auger but after I took it apart I found that was not plugged, in the process I pinched my temp probe so I got an error code, I ordered a new probe and after installing that it seemed to start up but I it wasn’t lighting. I pulled the grates and plate and found a big pile of pellets. It wasn’t lighting. I checked the fuse and it was good. I ordered and installed a new igniter, still doesn’t light up. I checked voltage when running, it’s 63 volts AC. I assume that should be 120? I checked the fan voltage, that was 120. Is my controller bad?

Edit: I disconnected the igniter and powered it up from a different 120 volt source, it’s lighting now, I also tested 120 volts at the controller igniter plug while the igniter was unplugged. When I connect the igniter to the plug on the board it pulls it down to 63 volts.
Thanks!

Steve
Welcome from Texas to the group!
Glad you got it goin 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thanks!

Steve
Is the ignitor heating up? 57volts is probably getting consumed to heat up the ignitor.

Voltage drop under load is due to the circuit not being able to pass enough current. I would say the issue is in the board. (Disclaimer. This is coming from working in industrial electric everyday, not direct knowledge of the control board)

You've replaced the igniter, doesn't work, and you have hard data while it's failing. Call tech with it.

Thank you for all of the quick responses and the warm welcome. I ordered a replacement board, I got it to operate by bypassing power to the igniter. Once I install that I’ll have new igniter, temp sensor and control, I should be good for a while. This was my first pellet grill, I’m pretty impressed with how well it has held up, compared to gas grills I’ve had in the past. Structurally this grill is still in very good condition, gas grills seem to be rusted apart/burned out in 4-5 years.

My grill seems to be working but it is slow to start, the display (numbers and all) starts to flash after a few minutes when it is just starting to smoke. It appears that means the temp is low. When I see it flashing I turn it off and back on, I may need to do that twice to get it started. It seems like it smokes a lot more and for a lot longer in the lighting process than it used to, once lit, works great.

I can’t remember if the old controller did that but I don’t think so.

Does it turn the igniter off when it starts to flash? I’m thinking it might, that’s why I restart it.

Why would it take longer to start than it did? New controller, temp probe and igniter.

Could it be I need more igniter sticking out into the pot? It’s 5/8”-3/4”, that’s where the old one was.

I’ll give that a try.

Cowboy1955, I just noticed your 25th ID patch, I was stationed at Schofield in J Quad, November 1985- July 1987. 1/62 ADA, Stinger Missle (well, Redeye at Schofield, they had a lot of leftover Redeye misses there). In The Ukraine they’re literally firing the Stinger missies made when I served at the Russian aircraft I trained to shoot down.

I’ll give that a try.

Cowboy1955, I just noticed your 25th ID patch, I was stationed at Schofield in J Quad, November 1985- July 1987. 1/62 ADA, Stinger Missle (well, Redeye at Schofield, they had a lot of leftover Redeye misses there). In The Ukraine they’re literally firing the Stinger missies made when I served at the Russian aircraft I trained to shoot down.
Vietnam and schofield for me
1/21st gimlets

When you turn it on leave the setting low. Maybe 200 or even lower. If you turn it up too high it will start flashing due to low temp. Took me some time to figure this out in the cool Michigan weather. Once on lowest setting and it starts to go up gradually increase the temp. Once the flame ignites you should be good to go.

Back