Is this normal

jedarmstrong6

Reaction score
Good Morning!
I got my new Pit Boss last week and last night was its maiden run. It did not go well.
I put a pork roast in at 3:15 am at 225. It weighed around 8 to 10 pounds. At 13 hours in, it wasn't even close to done. I rose temp to 250 and wrapped it for another 3 hours and got up to about 180. Brought up to 300 for another 3 hours and it came to 186. I finally pulled it. Hardly any bark on the outside.
In the meantime, we put on 2 5 pound chickens around noon. After 7 hours, (4.5 at 225 and 2.5 at 250) it was only up to 156. Has to finish in the oven so we had something to eat!
Is it possible that the thermostat isn't working properly? When we had a probe in the grill not in meat, it was reading 30 to 40 degrees lower than the main temperature. Something doesn't seem right about all this. Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Good Morning!
I got my new Pit Boss last week and last night was its maiden run. It did not go well.
I put a pork roast in at 3:15 am at 225. It weighed around 8 to 10 pounds. At 13 hours in, it wasn't even close to done. I rose temp to 250 and wrapped it for another 3 hours and got up to about 180. Brought up to 300 for another 3 hours and it came to 186. I finally pulled it. Hardly any bark on the outside.
In the meantime, we put on 2 5 pound chickens around noon. After 7 hours, (4.5 at 225 and 2.5 at 250) it was only up to 156. Has to finish in the oven so we had something to eat!
Is it possible that the thermostat isn't working properly? When we had a probe in the grill not in meat, it was reading 30 to 40 degrees lower than the main temperature. Something doesn't seem right about all this. Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!
Hello and welcome.
What model do you have?
For my type I’ve found there is as much an art as a science in getting the right temp. I recommend supplemental thermometers to help you see what’s really going on.
Experience tied to your particular machine over time helps you understand what this or that cut of meat will need about this or that approximate time at what temp.
I recommend allowing excess time for your cooks. Even if they get done early just put them in a warming mode, which in itself can add to a better end product anyway.

Hello and welcome.
What model do you have?
For my type I’ve found there is as much an art as a science in getting the right temp. I recommend supplemental thermometers to help you see what’s really going on.
Experience tied to your particular machine over time helps you understand what this or that cut of meat will need about this or that approximate time at what temp.
I recommend allowing excess time for your cooks. Even if they get done early just put them in a warming mode, which in itself can add to a better end product anyway.
Thanks for the reply!
I have the PB 1150. I see what you are saying about supplemental thermometers. I used another meat thermometer and the probes and that were reading close. I think the main temp is way off.
I guess when I think about buying a $700 machine, I feel like it should come ready to use and not need extra devices to make it work properly.
Would you be able to confirm that those cook times seem way to long to get meat that isn't done. 18 hours for an 8 to 10 pound pork and 7 hours for 5 pound chickens.
Thanks again very much for your reply. I appreciate it!

Thanks for the reply!
I have the PB 1150. I see what you are saying about supplemental thermometers. I used another meat thermometer and the probes and that were reading close. I think the main temp is way off.
I guess when I think about buying a $700 machine, I feel like it should come ready to use and not need extra devices to make it work properly.
Would you be able to confirm that those cook times seem way to long to get meat that isn't done. 18 hours for an 8 to 10 pound pork and 7 hours for 5 pound chickens.
The times seem to be OK to me so I’m guessing its a temp thing. I think what you are experiencing is normal but I don’t have that model. My model does have variances and apparently from what others say…it’s normal.
As time goes on you’ll become one with your smoker and you reach culinary nirvana. 😁

Welcome from SC.
I have the 1150 and your times sound about right for the temperatures you were at. I go by grate temps on mine and set grill temps to whatever to get there. You might have to set grill temps to 300+ to have a grate temps at 250.
The magical 225 cooking temp. Just gets you up earlier and eating later.

Welcome from SC.
I have the 1150 and your times sound about right for the temperatures you were at. I go by grate temps on mine and set grill temps to whatever to get there. You might have to set grill temps to 300+ to have a grate temps at 250.
The magical 225 cooking temp. Just gets you up earlier and eating later.
Thank you all for the input. I really appreciate it. How do you measure the grate temp? With a laser thermometer or just use the temp probes on the machine? That would seem to make sense because it just seemed like it was not very hot the whole time. Thanks again.

Thank you all for the input. I really appreciate it. How do you measure the grate temp? With a laser thermometer or just use the temp probes on the machine? That would seem to make sense because it just seemed like it was not very hot the whole time. Thanks again.
I got a separate 4 probe temp monitor early on because the SmokeIT app was terrible. I can set high and low temp alarms on it for overnight cooks.
The four probes that came with my 1150 are within 3° of the others but I just don't trust the app now.

Thanks for the reply!
Also how long did that piece of meat stall? It could have been a very long stall.

Also how long did that piece of meat stall? It could have been a very long stall.
Thank you again for all the input and info. As to the question about the stall, it did seem to be very long, but I don't have a lot to reference it to. I am going to try another one tomorrow and I am going to try to turn up the temp some and see if I can get the grate temps higher and see if it works better. I will also see if there is any sort of temp monitor system I can use to get some accurate readings.
It looks like I need a little more time and trial to see if I can get this working properly. Again, thank you all for the response. It has been very helpful. I will update later after the next attempt!

Yeah there is a learning curve with these smokers. I know I’ve planned on a 12 hour cook before only for it to surpass dinner time. There are a few times I would throw in the towel on dinner and tell the family “looks like this is tomorrow’s dinner”. Rarely have a bad cook on a pellet smoker but sometimes they take a lot of time. Some things I (after experience) I just know how long it will take and what temps to use. Takes a lot of practice and and lot of patience.

Welcome to the forum it takes time to learn the machine like the temp variation I never rely on my prob temp I know its off about 5 degrees and I always cook by meat temp not time .I have a hand held meat thermometer I check thing with for final cooking its a learning thing with smoking meat good luck and happy smoking

Back