Is this normal

Welcome to the forum it takes time to learn the machine like the temp variation I never rely on my prob temp I know its off about 5 degrees and I always cook by meat temp not time .I have a hand held meat thermometer I check thing with for final cooking its a learning thing with smoking meat good luck and happy smoking
Update: Yesterday I smoked a couple more pork butts. Our prep on the meat was better this time making sure it was up to room temp before putting it in the smoker. I was advised to get an oven thermometer to check the temp of the grill to see what it was actually at. The temp on the control board was about 50 degrees higher than the actual temperature in the grill! So the other day, when I was set at 225, it was probably more like 175 in the grill. No wonder it wouldn't cook. The probes were fairly accurate. I set my temp high so that the grill was in a good smoking range and the pork was done after about 11 hours. I was very pleased with the meat. It pulled off the bone just as it was supposed to. I did contact Pit Boss and they are sending me a new control board. I would prefer operating with more accurate temperatures and the admitted that 50 degrees is too far off.
Thank you all very much for the help and input. I really appreciate it.

When you guys talk about set temperature and grate temperature, I get that part. Let's say the magic number is 225, but your grates are only getting to 200, does that mean you will raise your smoker temperature to a higher number to achieve that 225?

When you guys talk about set temperature and grate temperature, I get that part. Let's say the magic number is 225, but your grates are only getting to 200, does that mean you will raise your smoker temperature to a higher number to achieve that 225?
Yes. Mine is usually around can be off 30 degrees and I just raise the temp on the panel to achieve the temp I want in the cooking chamber.

Yes. Mine is usually around can be off 30 degrees and I just raise the temp on the panel to achieve the temp I want in the cooking chamber.
When you can get a multi channel wifi or Bluetooth probe system. Mine has a probe mount for the grate holding the probe 1 inch higher than the grate.

Attachments

• 20230616_192050.jpg
    20230616_192050.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 15
Back