KC Combo pellet box smoke

That would likely work quite well, unfortunately I feel it would likely void the warranty. I’m a welder/fabricator and have a few ideas that would improve the ash removal system and I could execute them fairly easily but not willing to void the warranty. In the meantime I am staying diligent in cleaning before each new cook. I am planning on making some sort of scraper that fits through the grill that will force the ash through the mesh mid cook, that way I won’t have to pause a cook to clean it out.

Any Pitboss purchased after 9/3/2018 comes with a 5 year warranty and states that any modification made to the unit voids the warranty.

Oh! Well, I guess I'll use my grill the way it came from the factory for a few months until I decide that the controller board and other FRU items are not lemons. Then I can start in with the mods.

I found most of my ash build up was on the outer edge of the burn cup where the mesh meets the metal ring. I thought of trying to enlarge the holes in the mesh to see if it would help. Also looking for some kind of metal rod that I could move the ash on the side of the cup. What do you all thinks?

I had the same issue with my KC Combo... I returned it to walmart for a new and what I did was grabbed a pipe and hit it with a hammer to push the mesh grill lower so that the brush can actually do its job.... I did that today and have yet to used it.. Ill post a update once i use it to see if it works... I notice the brush hit the mesh a little better than it did before... Another known issue is the heat spot its over the burn pot... I’m thinking about making a heat deflector to place over the burn pot like on other pitboss grills... attaching it to a rob like the searing plate so that I can move it when i need to sear something.... and the last mod i’m thinking about doing is sealing the opening on the grill plate towards the thermostat ... to prevent hot air from directly hitting the thermostat and reading wrong temps in the grill.... Ill keep y’all posted soon.... Since i have a freshly new unit ... I want to do all this before I put it to use....

I have seen on another site where someone took a metal plate, bent it and covered it with tin foil and placed it over the center of the searing plate

I found most of my ash build up was on the outer edge of the burn cup where the mesh meets the metal ring. I thought of trying to enlarge the holes in the mesh to see if it would help. Also looking for some kind of metal rod that I could move the ash on the side of the cup. What do you all thinks?

There's a fellow on here who used copper flashing to make his pellets more efficiently flow into the auger feed tube. Maybe you could put some metal in there so nothing can fall into that dead zone?

What does a dead zone have to do with your auger catching fire... This is my replacement grill and I had the same issue with the auger catching fire again... Time to look else where for a pellet grill.... PitBoss has left a sour taste in my mouth...

I see this is an older thread, but having just joined I'll add my 2 cents. I like my KC a lot and use it for short cooks 3-5 times a week. i've also done a bunch of 6 hour ribs with no issues. The ash dump feature, however is a royal pain. Customer service sent me a new burn pot a while back and when I took the original one out I found the new one identical to the original. I now have two good burn pots and a non working ash dump. I know there are some who figure "oh well, I'll just vacuum and smoke on", but this feature was one of the reasons I chose the KC in the first place. It needs to work or I need some sort of accommodation under warranty. My case with customer service is ongoing, but frankly they are acting like this is something they never heard of.

Back