New Pit Boss Grill and new to pellet grill cooking

Media
Reaction score
Hello fellow cookers. Bought my first pellet grill 2 days ago. Many of my friends have been using them for quite a while. I am old school and ridicule these new cooking contraptions with their electronics, automatic feeds, thermometers, but here I am. I am pretty good at smoking meats on my 35 year old smoker that I built myself, but have to admit it's very time consuming and labor intensive to get ready, cooking, cleanup, etc., etc., etc. I'm about to turn 78 so I am actually looking for something easier and less labor intensive. I am sure I will be asking some dumb questions on this forum from time to time until I can figure some things out. Wish me luck!

Hello fellow cookers. Bought my first pellet grill 2 days ago. Many of my friends have been using them for quite a while. I am old school and ridicule these new cooking contraptions with their electronics, automatic feeds, thermometers, but here I am. I am pretty good at smoking meats on my 35 year old smoker that I built myself, but have to admit it's very time consuming and labor intensive to get ready, cooking, cleanup, etc., etc., etc. I'm about to turn 78 so I am actually looking for something easier and less labor intensive. I am sure I will be asking some dumb questions on this forum from time to time until I can figure some things out. Wish me luck!
Welcome from east Texas to the group!!
There’s no dumb questions in here. A lot of great folks
Roll that smoke 💨 🇺🇸🇨🇱

Howdy from Ft. Bend Co.

I resemble that remark! I regret not jumping on the bandwagon sooner.
I am old school and ridicule these new cooking contraptions with their electronics, automatic feeds, thermometers, but here I am. I am pretty good at smoking meats <snip>, but have to admit it's very time consuming and labor intensive to get ready, cooking, cleanup, etc., etc., etc.

Welcome from the holler. 🍻

After decades with a stick smoker just get a smoke tube and wood chips now. The lower smoke levels will be the first thing you notice. You pellet selection will be a big factor as well. My go-to is Bear Mountain hickory. Lots of flavor and decent smoke levels when running low and slow.

My words of wisdom are....

Dont be too concerned about temp swings. Especially the first few cooks. My swings have diminished over time as if the unit is "learning"....

It takes a few cooks to get the "feel" of the grill. Where its hotter and cooler on the cooking surface, how the temp runs at a specific setting, things like that.

I wasnt a fan of my 700 the first few cooks, as i was trying to control temp by constantly adjusting the settings or opening the hood to let some heat out because it was over shooting more than i liked. Now i crank it up, let it run 20-25 minuits to settle in, throw on my meat and only check on things once in awhile. I love this grill now.

I have an electric smoker i dont use anymore and a larger propane one that ive never even fired up. The "Boss" is so easy to use....

Welcome to the site and happy smoking.....

Howdy from Ft. Bend Co.

I resemble that remark! I regret not jumping on the bandwagon sooner.

Dont be too concerned about temp swings. Especially the first few cooks. My swings have diminished over time as if the unit is "learning"....

It takes a few cooks to get the "feel" of the grill. Where its hotter and cooler on the cooking surface, how the temp runs at a specific setting, things like that.

I wasnt a fan of my 700 the first few cooks, as i was trying to control temp by constantly adjusting the settings or opening the hood to let some heat out because it was over shooting more than i liked. Now i crank it up, let it run 20-25 minuits to settle in, throw on my meat and only check on things once in awhile. I love this grill now.

I have an electric smoker i dont use anymore and a larger propane one that ive never even fired up. The "Boss" is so easy to use....

Good info Thanks. Tried my first cook yesterday with a rib rack Outstanding. I can get used to this.

Thanks. Yes, all pits have their own characteristics and take some time to learn.

Welcome from the holler. 🍻

After decades with a stick smoker just get a smoke tube and wood chips now. The lower smoke levels will be the first thing you notice. You pellet selection will be a big factor as well. My go-to is Bear Mountain hickory. Lots of flavor and decent smoke levels when running low and slow.
My biggest challenge will be what pellets to use. I have always used oak, pecan, and mesquite mixed on my stick smoker. Friends tell me to use the competition blend. Trial and error I suppose.

Latest Discussions

Back