Observation on my Wrap

sparkyv

Media
Reaction score
An observation to share:
Internal temp on my shoulder roast reached 170°F and stalled. I wrapped in foil, and the temp got to 203°F after an hour or so, but still was not probe tender. So I unwrapped it hoping to crust up the bark again and finish it, but almost immediately the temperature dropped 20°! I was getting impatient, but the boy one told me that I should just ride it out. It took another hour and 15min to get back up to 203°, but then it probed nicely. My lesson learned...just be patient, I gotta get to probe tenderness!

Good post by Redoctapus, but I didn't want to hijack another thread:
Crutching your chunk of meat is done to prevent the long stall.
If you've waited through the stale for temp to start rising this means your roast has quit sweating and evaporative cooling has ceased.
The idea of crutching (wrapping) is to put your meat in a tiny, tight cavity where the humidity is 100% thereby preventing the evaporation of meat juices from cooling meat surface. High temperature cooking negates evaporative cooling bc juices aren't released fast enough for this effect.
Aluminum foil completely seals the roast whereas pink paper allows some breathing. The masters of this are pitt masters with a hell of alot of briskets, ribs and butts on the same smoker!
And now guys are using boats!
Oh jeez...lol

An observation to share:
Internal temp on my shoulder roast reached 170°F and stalled. I wrapped in foil, and the temp got to 203°F after an hour or so, but still was not probe tender. So I unwrapped it hoping to crust up the bark again and finish it, but almost immediately the temperature dropped 20°! I was getting impatient, but the boy one told me that I should just ride it out. It took another hour and 15min to get back up to 203°, but then it probed nicely. My lesson learned...just be patient, I gotta get to probe tenderness!

Good post by Redoctapus, but I didn't want to hijack another thread:
Hi Sparky,
I have had that happen to me too. It was like there were knarly chunks within the roast. I had 4 butts going, one had tight spots but was plenty hot. I pulled all four to vent and rest. That one butt did not "pull" as it should have. I didn't want dry pithy over cooked.
Always trust the probe.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back