PB1230: Fan won't work, Error "ErL"

Earlallen10

Media
Reaction score
Good afternoon. For Father's Day, 2020, I got a PB1230 (new old stock, I think) as a gift from Academy Sporting Goods. I have cooked 10 or 12 times on the smoke side and same on the gas grill side, all with great success. Note: I remove and clean all the grills and covers and vacuum out the fire pot at every use. This weekend I tried to smoke some chicken and the smoker went OOC. The auger would work and the igniter would make the pellets smoke, but the fan never came on and the fire pot just filled with pellets and it shut off and displayed error message "ErL". This error code is not covered in the troubleshooting charts in the owner's manual.

Needless to say, I am somewhat disappointing in this one year old unit. Is there anything you experts can tell me about this particular problem, before I take the next step? I just started a new project at work and haven't had time to mess with this save for posting this on the forum. So, I've yet to contact customer service or research this on the internet.

Thanks,
Earl (new to PitBoss, not new to smoking meats).

Attachments

• PitBoss1230-Fire-Pot.jpg
    PitBoss1230-Fire-Pot.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 56
Call customer service. Since it is only a year old they will send new parts. if you are not hearing the fan it either came unplugged (unlikely since it has been working) or completely stopped working. I believe ErL is a low temp error and since the fan isn't blowing it never ignites. Changing out a fan is pretty easy to do and there are helpful videos on YouTube.

But first, give them a call with your model number and all your info and they will help out and more than likely send out new parts for free.

877.303.3134 option 2. if they don't answer leave a call back number. In my experience it is always best to call them in the morning on a week day.

Back