PBV4PS2 temperature issues

I was the originator of this thread. Not sure if I mentioned I called customer service. They eventually sent me a new probe and circuit board. No change.

Geekchef - does the one you got have the same connections? Did it come with the plexiglass cover, and is it watertight, or did you make that?

Could you elaborate on the process to swap it out?

Thanks

One more thing...

Has anyone noticed there's new software for your phone for this? It's much better than the old one, and, you can actually change the temp from your phone.

It's no longer called SMOKEIT, now it's called PITBOSS.

Check it out.

I’m having all the same issues since day one with mine as well. Customer service already sent me a new control panel. Same issues still. WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THESE CONTROL PANELS??? I’d gladly buy one if you say you have proper temp settings and results now?
Unfortunately you can't buy one.....unless you have a friend that owns a ReqTeq and then they can ask for a replacement controller for their unit....but highly doubtful.

There are other PID Controllers on the market now....but I have not used any of them. There are no "drop-in replacement with known settings....except the RecTeq....it just seemed to work great.

Here are a few links to get you started.

Unfortunately you can't buy one.....unless you have a friend that owns a ReqTeq and then they can ask for a replacement controller for their unit....but highly doubtful.

There are other PID Controllers on the market now....but I have not used any of them. There are no "drop-in replacement with known settings....except the RecTeq....it just seemed to work great.

Here are a few links to get you started.

Hey Geekchef,

Be careful. After telling us how great it is, and then you can't get one, don't be surprised if one of us puts you in your smoker and fires it up LOL.

I was the originator of this thread. Not sure if I mentioned I called customer service. They eventually sent me a new probe and circuit board. No change.

Geekchef - does the one you got have the same connections? Did it come with the plexiglass cover, and is it watertight, or did you make that?

Could you elaborate on the process to swap it out?

Thanks
I detailed the process a bit here back in 2021.....so a few years back.

Hey Geekchef,

Be careful. After telling us how great it is, and then you can't get one, don't be surprised if one of us puts you in your smoker and fires it up LOL.
Well....when I detailed the process originally, you could still call them and get a replacement controller....but they stopped allowing that when the masses were calling to buy replacement controller from $800 smokers for cheap pitboss $400 smokers.

But I sent you link to other controller manufacturers....there are plenty to choose from now that will work fine.

Well....when I detailed the process originally, you could still call them and get a replacement controller....but they stopped allowing that when the masses were calling to buy replacement controller from $800 smokers for cheap pitboss $400 smokers.

But I sent you link to other controller manufacturers....there are plenty to choose from now that will work fine.
Thanks, man! Seriously, you seem to know your stuff!

Now it's August. Just smoked a whole pork butt and 2 racks ribs. I ALWAYS put a probe with my ThermoWorks thermometer b/c it is within +-0.1 degrees. Just noticed the smoker was up at 460F! Immediately unplugged it and opened the door, pretty much salvaging my meal.

Mind you, this is with the new probe and controller they sent in January. Anybody else having this problem? Solutions?

Thanks

Now it's August. Just smoked a whole pork butt and 2 racks ribs. I ALWAYS put a probe with my ThermoWorks thermometer b/c it is within +-0.1 degrees. Just noticed the smoker was up at 460F! Immediately unplugged it and opened the door, pretty much salvaging my meal.

Mind you, this is with the new probe and controller they sent in January. Anybody else having this problem? Solutions?

Thanks
It’s just their crappy controller. It so laggy that it can’t catch itself if it overshoots.

Made ribs too this Past weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 71304091291__5E0F1C6E-3DAA-44D1-8DE5-5625B34D8315.jpeg
    71304091291__5E0F1C6E-3DAA-44D1-8DE5-5625B34D8315.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 71305450026__46DA9EEC-D9C4-433C-AED3-9E183071795C.jpeg
    71305450026__46DA9EEC-D9C4-433C-AED3-9E183071795C.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2064.jpeg
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 10
It’s just their crappy controller. It so laggy that it can’t catch itself if it overshoots.

Made ribs too this Past weekend!
Gee, thanks, I'm salivating!

Do you have the same model? What do you do about the wild temperature swings (and in my case, off the charts)?

Gee, thanks, I'm salivating!

Do you have the same model? What do you do about the wild temperature swings (and in my case, off the charts)?
I removed that piece of crap controller and installed a ReqTeq that I had as a spare from my older smoker. Works amazing! The PB4 is an excellently built smoker…it just needs a better controller

Yeah, unfortunately you can't get the reqteq separately if you don't have one of their smokers.....
Correct, but there are many temp controllers that will work the same on the market. Would be nice to get their elite 6 series controller with the new smoke technology! I would test it in the PB4 for sure!

Back