Pit Boss Pro 850

PJK

Reaction score
I am new to pellet grills and I’m debating a pit boss pro 850 or a Traeger Pro 575. Seeing if any one has had the 850 and wonder how it performed? Just want to make right purchase!

Thanks

I am new to pellet grills and I’m debating a pit boss pro 850 or a Traeger Pro 575. Seeing if any one has had the 850 and wonder how it performed? Just want to make right purchase!

Thanks
I have the 850 pro series and have used it about ten times now and so far it has performed flawlessly, I always follow instructions and clean after every cook and always empty hopper and burn off the rest of the pellets so you start from scratch each time and seems to work great for me. Also it is built really good and also easy to move to get out of wind if needed plus it can be used as a grill for burgers and dogs if needed.

Thanks
Haven't done brisket but several butts for pulled pork came out well. I understand the newer 850s are coming with the upgraded firmware which gives more temperature options. I've just installed an upgraded controller in mine and looking forward to trying it out sometime this week on pork tenderloin. I've had my 850 a little over a year and have been happy with it and with Pitboss customer service.

Stop by a local Running's store, compare the two. Traeger is cheaply made, feels like it's made out of old beer/soda cans, and their more money.

Since I replaced my controller with the new version my 850 smokes like crazy, it does this little swing with the temperature going up and down just a couple degrees and creates a ton of smoke.
Also, the ignitor comes on at random times, as it is smoldering and creating smoke to keep from flaming out.
I think the improvement was a good thing to these controllers.

Since I replaced my controller with the new version my 850 smokes like crazy, it does this little swing with the temperature going up and down just a couple degrees and creates a ton of smoke.
Also, the ignitor comes on at random times, as it is smoldering and creating smoke to keep from flaming out.
I think the improvement was a good thing to these controllers.
Did my 1st cook with the new controller today. Definitely an improvement with the 10 degree increments. I was surprised that I had to set the controller to 270 degrees to get an actual temp of 250. But it sure was nice to have that option. You are right there was lots more smoke. It seemed to heat up faster at startup. I noticed the old IT app doesn't work. Any idea where to find a new version? Looking forward to more cooks. Today's pork tenderloin came out great.

I deleted the app because it would change my grill temp. even without being on.
I set my temp at 250* and next thing I hear a notification on my phone, your grill has reached 180*, WHAT?
The app isn't on!
I go outside and my grill is set to S for smoke setting.
Had to reset it and it happened again so I deleted the app!
No App, No Problem!

I deleted the app because it would change my grill temp. even without being on.
I set my temp at 250* and next thing I hear a notification on my phone, your grill has reached 180*, WHAT?
The app isn't on!
I go outside and my grill is set to S for smoke setting.
Had to reset it and it happened again so I deleted the app!
No App, No Problem!
Interesting. I downloaded the new app but haven't had a chance to set it up yet. When I run the 850 I will give it a try. Now it only takes me to Pitboss website. I did delete the old app to avoid any interference. Hoping for a working app.

Back