Pit Boss Pro Firmware Update Broke App

baltman195

Reaction score
HI,

I have a Pit Boss Pro model PPBV4PS2 and use the Pit Boss Grills app on an iPhone. I've had the grill for 2 years, and the app always connected to Bluetooth and stayed connected 10's of feet away.

I just upgraded the smoker firmware (as the app asked me to do) and updated the app from the Apple App Store. Now the app does not connect to the grill more than half the times (even standing next to the grill with the phone), and when it does connect it disconnects within minutes (even with the phone 3 feet from the grill).

This appears to have been a bad update (with seemingly no new features).. Is this going to be fixed ?

HI,

I have a Pit Boss Pro model PPBV4PS2 and use the Pit Boss Grills app on an iPhone. I've had the grill for 2 years, and the app always connected to Bluetooth and stayed connected 10's of feet away.

I just upgraded the smoker firmware (as the app asked me to do) and updated the app from the Apple App Store. Now the app does not connect to the grill more than half the times (even standing next to the grill with the phone), and when it does connect it disconnects within minutes (even with the phone 3 feet from the grill).

This appears to have been a bad update (with seemingly no new features).. Is this going to be fixed ?
Welcome from Texas to the group!
I don’t use the app but I believe I seen where guys have deleted the app and reinstalled it
Someone else will chime in I’m sure that has the app and help you out 🇺🇸🇨🇱

Welcome from Texas to the group!
I don’t use the app but I believe I seen where guys have deleted the app and reinstalled it
Someone else will chime in I’m sure that has the app and help you out 🇺🇸🇨🇱
Hi Cowboy1955,

Thanks for your help, but I've already first rebooted the phone, then deleted and re-installed the app. My fear is that the problem is in the firmware update for the grill that was just installed, not the iPhone app.

I would love to hear from others who have upgraded the firmware and the app.

Thanks for trying !

HI,

Have you tried unplugging your grill and plugging it back in? Maybe try a different device and see if that works. Other than that, it looks like you're going to have to call customer service and convince them to send you a new controller.

HI,

Hi Batman, and welcome!! I had issues with the app as well. Tried everything. CS sent me a new control board, no change. We got new phones - not because of this - and sure enough, problem solved. Old phone was an iPhone 8+ (6 yrs old) and the update closed it out. I hate to have to say that, but that was my experience. Good luck bro 🍻

Hi Batman, and welcome!! I had issues with the app as well. Tried everything. CS sent me a new control board, no change. We got new phones - not because of this - and sure enough, problem solved. Old phone was an iPhone 8+ (6 yrs old) and the update closed it out. I hate to have to say that, but that was my experience. Good luck bro 🍻
Have you checked your wifi settings. I went through this when I got new phones and a new router. You have to click on the pencil when are on the app and change the wifi connection. Anyways that’s what I had to do when I reinstalled the app.

Have you checked your wifi settings. I went through this when I got new phones and a new router. You have to click on the pencil when are on the app and change the wifi connection. Anyways that’s what I had to do when I reinstalled the app.
Been through all of that. Spent months going in circles. The new phones connected flawlessly. The old phones would not connect with the updated app.

I have no faith in PB to fix this so I dont try
The smoke it app was kick ass my phone picked up my smoker almost 800 miles away when my son was using it since they have change I have tried many time and no luck

I'm having the same issue, but not ready to upgrade my phone to fix it. Old app worked fine. New app forced firmware update, which marked the end of my phone connecting to the grill. I suspect that there are some settings being saved locally on the phone/cloud which are not being removed upon app deletion because when I delete and re-install the app, it still has my settings. It is not a hardware issue because it worked fine with old app. If getting a new phone fixed this issue, the app developers need to create a way to clear old settings.

I saw that an app update for iPhone was available for the Pitt Boss app, and it claims to have fixed connectivity issues. I downloaded the app, and now it's even worse than before. The app will not connect to the smoker via Bluetooth AT ALL (it used to connect then drop within minutes), and there is no way to exit the error screen to try again without completely killing the app.

WTF Pitt Boss ?

Back