Pit Boss Pro Firmware Update Broke App

I saw that an app update for iPhone was available for the Pitt Boss app, and it claims to have fixed connectivity issues. I downloaded the app, and now it's even worse than before. The app will not connect to the smoker via Bluetooth AT ALL (it used to connect then drop within minutes), and there is no way to exit the error screen to try again without completely killing the app.

WTF Pitt Boss ?
Yup. New updates don’t like older phones.

Been through similar issues when upgrading apps last time. I"m a software developer so I do have some experience in this field. After trying everything from uninstall, reinstall, reboot wifi, phone, etc. I called support and was told they are "working" on this issue. In the longer thread about app issues someone mentioned they had to create a new account. What I found is that for some reason your account gets stuck associated with the old app and old equipment. Definitely a coding issue. So try uninstalling again and reinstall and create a brand new account with a different email address.

The app loaded fine, the problem is that it can no longer talk Bluetooth to the grill. There are a few annoying UI issues with the app, but it always worked until the beginning of the summer with the app and firmware upgrade to the grill. The first upgraded app would connect via Bluetooth and then lose the connection within minutes, the newest version won't connect at all.

There is an update in the works. You can see if it is available by...

1) plug grill in but do not press power button. It is important that the controller is basically blank except the "power button."
2) make sure Bluetooth is "on" on your device
3) make sure that you are at the current app level (Android 2.0.1)
4) press "control grill" on app.
5) IF you get the update, follow the prompts.
6) when complete press "power button" and try to "control grill" again.
7) if you see temps on the app but can't control the grill, call PB support.

Hopefully, you will get a popup window saying something about grill update right after 4 above. If you don't get the option to update, you might call PB support.

Thanks for the instructions on how to get the update to install. They need to change the instructions they give when you get the update notice, it says to turn the grill on, when it should just day to plug in the grill but do not turn it on....seems to work fine and now there is a timer on the app as well

Yes, the key in the process is to plug in but do not turn on (ie. don't press the power button) until the update is finished. I did see a popup asking to set grill to 225/230 but I think that came because I was running/testing on a backup controller so I had to add the grill. I added it as another grill though it is really only a backup controller. I didn't want to upset my working controller.

Back