Problem with my ribs

Slider

Media
Reaction score
I've made scores of ribs over the years. But lately, they've not been turning out as great as they've in the past. I tried a revised 3-2-1 method after viewing a Meat Church video. In short, 2 1/2 hours at 275, remove, wrap in foil with butter honey, and brown sugar. Place back on the rig at 275 for about 2 hours, remove from foil, sauce, smoke for an additional 15 minutes. I check IT throughout, all are spot on. But for some reason, these ribs were burnt. I have never burned ribs in my life. Never. Especially when wrapping.

I always the place across the grates and not with the grates. So the ribs lay left to right, instead of front to back. I' e been cooking this way for years. I'm making ribs again on Friday night and don't want to repeat the same results.

Any idea what the hell went wrong?

Lastly, any cooking ideas would also be appreciated.

Thanks

I've made scores of ribs over the years. But lately, they've not been turning out as great as they've in the past. I tried a revised 3-2-1 method after viewing a Meat Church video. In short, 2 1/2 hours at 275, remove, wrap in foil with butter honey, and brown sugar. Place back on the rig at 275 for about 2 hours, remove from foil, sauce, smoke for an additional 15 minutes. I check IT throughout, all are spot on. But for some reason, these ribs were burnt. I have never burned ribs in my life. Never. Especially when wrapping.

I always the place across the grates and not with the grates. So the ribs lay left to right, instead of front to back. I' e been cooking this way for years. I'm making ribs again on Friday night and don't want to repeat the same results.

Thanks
First, make sure that the temperature is inside the cooking unit or what do you want them to be, not what shows on the control panel.
Secondly, I use 225 all the way through and get consistently good ribs

I overcame and conquered.

- 3 hours at 230°

- Lightly wrapped in aluminum foil for 1 1/2 hours at 220°

- Removed from foil and basted for one hour at 240°

They were absolutely amazing!

Thanks everyone and enjoy the weekend!

Peace.

Attachments

• 20240712_185102.jpg
    20240712_185102.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240712_185046.jpg
    20240712_185046.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240712_185036.jpg
    20240712_185036.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 12
I overcame and conquered.

- 3 hours at 230°

- Lightly wrapped in aluminum foil for 1 1/2 hours at 220°

- Removed from foil and basted for one hour at 240°

They were absolutely amazing!

Thanks everyone and enjoy the weekend!

Peace.
They look good! I'm glad they turned out amazing. I have one comment, I wouldn't mess with changing the temp between 220 and 240. That small difference in temp isn't worth the hassle. Let it ride unless at one temp unless you need them done quicker. I hope you enjoy your weekend too 🍺 🍻

I coat my ribs the day before with a brown sugar rub i mix up and tweak the ingredients each time. Smoker set on smoke, ribs go on for 1-1.5 hours, depending on when i remember to kick the heat up. Then its 225 until i get an instant read of 200-205. Roughly 3 hours in. For me, they are done. I let them rest on the counter for 10-15 minuites, then cut them into individual ribs. For me, the 3 2 1 method was too fiddley and took too long for the end product. I dont sauce my ribs anymore since using my rub mix. I could, but i am happy with how they turn out unsauced....

Thanks
I smoke my ribs 4.5 hours at 230 degrees meat side up, then wrapped in foil meat side down with honey, apple juice, and butter slabs for 1.5 hours, then unwrap and bast with sauce meat side up for 20 minutes just to glaze the sauce . They are mouth watering every time.

Back