Runaway temp Pro Series 850

jeff j

Reaction score
The model is PB850PS2. It is a little over a year old and has stopped holding its temp. Set it for 300 and it barely slows down on its way to 500 and beyond. I was thinking about swapping out the controller but there doesn’t seem to be any available specific to our model so I am wondering… Are controllers from other grills usable? We do not care about the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth capability. We typically use the grill a couple times a week and have never felt the need to download the app.

The model is PB850PS2. It is a little over a year old and has stopped holding its temp. Set it for 300 and it barely slows down on its way to 500 and beyond. I was thinking about swapping out the controller but there doesn’t seem to be any available specific to our model so I am wondering… Are controllers from other grills usable? We do not care about the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth capability. We typically use the grill a couple times a week and have never felt the need to download the app.
Welcome from Texas to the group!
When’s the last time you cleaned the temperature sensor?
A clean sensor stops that
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

I scrubbed it with carb cleaner. I don’t know how much cleaner than that I can get it. I don’t know of much else that cuts the baked on grease short of an oven cleaner. I didn’t want to make a special trip to town for that and I didn’t want to use the pressure washer.

I am open to suggestions.

I will give it another go, removing it this time just in case I missed something against the wall. I am a little confused though. Why would it work fine dirty for a year then suddenly cleaning it twice be the answer to a new problem?

Last edited:
What controls the auger??? The auger should stop feeding fuel if the temperature is high for any reason but it keeps cycling on. I don’t have an oven thermometer but it is definitely getting hotter than it should. We had a bad grease fire the first time it happened. It was the first grease fire we had seen in this grill but it was the worst grease fire I have ever witnessed (I am 57). I originally blamed it on not cleaning the grill when I should have but I think subsequent uses have proved otherwise.

What controls the auger??? The auger should stop feeding fuel if the temperature is high for any reason but it keeps cycling on. I don’t have an oven thermometer but it is definitely getting hotter than it should. We had a bad grease fire the first time it happened. It was the first grease fire we had seen in this grill but it was the worst grease fire I have ever witnessed (I am 57). I originally blamed it on not cleaning the grill when I should have but I think subsequent uses have proved otherwise.
Sounds like the controller
Give pitboss support a call

Talked with PitBoss today. They are sending me a new probe.

For others with a similar issue, here are my notes from the troubleshooting run I did today:

Grill had been in smoke mode for about an hour (this is not proper. I turned it on then had lunch and went to town to get a thermometer). Oven thermometer in for about 15 minutes. Very light or no wind 75 degrees outside.
Time controller/thermometer
1226 180/150

1236 180/150 increase to 300

1244 300/225

1246 338

1247 360

1248 360/250

1249 336/250

1253 373/250

~1255 saw 480 on the controller

1304 257/230

1310 432/245

1317 377/255 set to 350

1327 470/275

1332 613/260

1335 513/260 erH shutdown

PitBoss has pretty good customer service. They registered the grill for me 14 months after I bought it. I just had to provide the purchase date which was easy because I have my Lowes receipts emailed to me. We received the new probe at no charge the other day and finally got a chance to try it out and the probe seems to have fixed the problem. Temps are stable where I set it and the displayed temp matches the oven thermometer.

Back