Smoke Problems with my new Austin XL

hofa

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the pitboss family. I got my new Austin XL a few days ago. Of course I assembled it straight away and burned it in according to the description. Everything so far so good.
The same day I tried to cook a row of ribs in the smoker. That didn't work so well, I always had to sit at the smoker because the combustion didn't work properly...
The problem is that from time to time you can hear noises from the auger, as if it is jamming. As soon as you hear the noise, heavy smoke comes out of all ends of the smoker. this happens at different intervals. So whenever you hear the noise.
I thought maybe the pellets were not good or too big, so I took them all out and put other pellets in. But the problem persists. In the meantime I have tried 3 different pellets from Pitboss and the problem does not go away. I will attach a video here of what happens when the grill starts to smoke. In the video, the grill has been running at 110 degrees for 1.5 hours.
Can someone help me please🙏

Attachments

• vid-20240218-145558-zw9nisqx-zisxzkjr_T9zAjyeq.mp4
    17 MB
Welcome from Texas to the group!!
Me and the wife and some friends will be in Italy in September on a Norwegian cruise
The noise your hearing is longer pellets breaking up.
I use bear mountain. Don’t know if they sale those over there.
Also sift the pellets through a colander and store them in a air tight container
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Hmmm. Too much white smoke. That temp is too low. I suspect the burn pot is flaming out due low temps. Try setting it on 185 - 225 and see if that works. Nothing will cook at 95 degrees.
Hi, thanks for your reply. The temp is so low in kind of that issue. The pot is flaming out and the temp go down. I setted the temp to 110° C
It also will happen when i set a bit higher temp.
Every 10-15 minutes this will happen. Uff, i have to go away from my pittboss when that will happen. To much smoke, burning my eyes🔥
I see here on a other treat that there was some temp issues/flame out problems. Maybe that will solve my problem? I mean to fix the gap behind the temp sensor. I have not done that

Hi, thanks for your reply. The temp is so low in kind of that issue. The pot is flaming out and the temp go down. I setted the temp to 110° C
It also will happen when i set a bit higher temp.
Every 10-15 minutes this will happen. Uff, i have to go away from my pittboss when that will happen. To much smoke, burning my eyes🔥
I see here on an other treat that there was some temp issues/flame out problems. Maybe that will solve my problem? I mean to fix the gap behind the temp sensor. I have not done that
Try fixing the gap and let us know

Welcome from Texas to the group!!
Me and the wife and some friends will be in Italy in September on a Norwegian cruise
The noise your hearing is longer pellets breaking up.
I use bear mountain. Don’t know if they sale those over there.
Also sift the pellets through a colander and store them in a air tight container
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸
Hi, thanks.
Nice to hear. Sounds like a very cool trip. Where you will stop in italy?
Thanks for your reply.
I dont know, i got in touch only with pellets from träger, pitboss and some other privat label products, never heared from bear mountain🤔 Think there are lot different products in your country. I also see that there are a lot more pitboss smokers available in america than here in italy/europe. Only a hand full here...
So for now i know a bit more. I think i will adjust that temp issue first, and close that gap in front of the temp sensor. When nothing will happen after that, i take a look at other pellets.

These are
Hi, thanks.
Nice to hear. Sounds like a very cool trip. Where you will stop in italy?
Thanks for your reply.
I dont know, i got in touch only with pellets from träger, pitboss and some other privat label products, never heared from bear mountain🤔 Think there are lot different products in your country. I also see that there are a lot more pitboss smokers available in america than here in italy/europe. Only a hand full here...
So for now i know a bit more. I think i will adjust that temp issue first, and close that gap in front of the temp sensor. When nothing will happen after that, i take a look at other pellets.
IMG_2357.jpeg
These are our stops on a 10 day cruise

Hi, so i fixed the temp issues now. round plate in front of the temp sensor, and i also added a plate above the flame pot.
The problem still exists. I have to say, now its much more better than first, but the flame out is still ongoing some times.
I tested now with 120°C
Temp will go down to 110°/107° with bit of smoke. Than the pitboss heat again to 120-130°
And the same thing again. But not so much often how before.
How i sayed, now its a lot more better than before, but still smoking

Attachments

• vid-20240219-210742_668UcGpO.mp4
    11.9 MB
Last edited:
By the way, my mistake. I didn’t realize it was in C and not F. Hope it works out for you. White smoke is bad, thin blue is good!
No problem. ✌️
Is there anything else i can try to fix that problem?
I think im on the right way now, but there are still issues to fix on my smoker...
Tomorrow i will close all mini gaps in front of the temp sensor with alu foil. Its easier to check differences from before and after.
Sorry, its my first pellet smoker, so im a bit overstrained

Hi, so i fixed the temp issues now. round plate in front of the temp sensor, and i also added a plate above the flame pot.
The problem still exists. I have to say, now its much more better than first, but the flame out is still ongoing some times.
I tested now with 120°C
Temp will go down to 110°/107° with bit of smoke. Than the pitboss heat again to 120-130°
And the same thing again. But not so much often how before.
How i sayed, now its a lot more better than before, but still smoking
That smoke don't look bad to me. Quick puffs of whitish smoke is ok.

Hi Guys, so actually i tested again with aluminium foil, without the foil, plate above the burn pot, without plate above the burn pot. So it looks that, it works best without alu foil.
So the best solution is now, plate to close the gab in front of the temp sensor, and plate above the burn pot. Im still not really happy with, because there come still some smoke out in kind of flaming out a short time.
What i can do in additional to solve the problem? Hope i can fix that.
Im the only one who have that problem? or is it normal to have that smoke what i have now?

Attachments

• vid-20240221-205458-0gvelent_ID9zy04j.mp4
    18.7 MB
Back