vacuuming out the burn pot

Is there an easier way to access and clean the burn pot?
I seriously considered not purchasing my 850 because it didn't have an external pot remover. I am glad I went ahead with my 850 because in practice it gives me the opportunity to go ahead and vacume the other excess dust, and clean up other surfaces. I also dump a few pellets in the pot to speed start up.

I seriously considered not purchasing my 850 because it didn't have an external pot remover. I am glad I went ahead with my 850 because in practice it gives me the opportunity to go ahead and vacume the other excess dust, and clean up other surfaces. I also dump a few pellets in the pot to speed start up.
Is it just me? or is every ones grill covered in smoky grease residue so when I take it apart I just scrub it down hard with paper towels and presto, every thing is cleaned.

(requires trash barrel to be next to you, rubber gloves highly recommended.)

I just scrub it down hard with paper towels and presto,
It really doesn't take me long. I have a putty knife that makes quick work of it along with a plastic scour pad, some paper towels and de-greaser. Gloves definitely otherwise I would spend more time cleaning hands than the grill.

Is it just me? or is every ones grill covered in smoky grease residue so when I take it apart I just scrub it down hard with paper towels and presto, every thing is cleaned.

(requires trash barrel to be next to you, rubber gloves highly recommended.)
On the lighter side, I consider the smokey stains on inside of Pit Boss vertical a badge of honor. 😬
But yea I clean it. Primarily by a good burn off after a good old long smokey oily cook. That converts everything to a crusty dry residue that I wire brush off.
I do use a cleaner for the door window, the interior temp sensor and any slop that got on the outside by wiping them down with paper towels one the cleaner does its job.

Last edited:
I guess you could use a leaf blower but be prepared to breathe in a bunch of ash, that crap will fly everywhere if you use a leaf blower. I would just use a shop vac, nothing else.

Has anyone tried a leaf blower to blow into the flame ports?
On my vertical I do. After the burn off and wire brush treatment, I pull out the burn pot. Then rolling the smoker to the side of the drive way facing the yard I stand to the side and use my leaf blowers on a slower speed to get the residue out.
An exception to this is when I remove the burn pot cover to clean that area out. There’s usually so much ash there I just shop vac it out.

Latest Discussions

Back