Was sup guys

Sallyy

Media
Reaction score
Finally got my first smoker yesterday
Pit Boss Onyx Edition Austin XL 1000
So far I haven't cooked nothing on it yet just did the Initial burn off and season. The controls have me confused because I set the temp and if I click it again it let me set the temp again .this might sound dumb but when I set the temp it shows a bar in the screen then when I set it again the bar goes up to green. Never owned any smoker at all would really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 20230617_162851.jpg
    20230617_162851.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 120
Welcome from Texas to the group!
To me when it’s green then everything is ok
I haven’t found anything online to confirm it.
Try it again without raising the temperature
Just put it at 225 degrees and see what happens
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸

Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸
Thanks il try that I'm gonna try to do some chicken wings today. Any tips

Finally got my first smoker yesterday
Pit Boss Onyx Edition Austin XL 1000
So far I haven't cooked nothing on it yet just did the Initial burn off and season. The controls have me confused because I set the temp and if I click it again it let me set the temp again .this might sound dumb but when I set the temp it shows a bar in the screen then when I set it again the bar goes up to green. Never owned any smoker at all would really appreciate the help.
Sally, did you get this figured out? I know that @malligood has a similar controller (except his has WiFi), so I tagged him on this post. Perhaps he can help.

Screenshot_20230618-073414.png

I was just taking a look at your directions. Press knob, turn knob to your temperature, press it again.

Screenshot_20230618-073442.png

Haha - not sure what this means. But probably nothing to worry about when you are setting temps? Not sure.

Good luck with your cook today. Hopefully your Austin XL behaves itself.

The only advice that I can give is don't put any food directly above the burn pot unless you are paying attention. This cooker has a hot spot that can crisp things up if you aren't watching.

Wings came out to that bad a bit chewey and burnt them a little, and it took longer than I thought it would. Probably a dumb question but do I have to clean the smoker completely after every cool or just scrape and clean off the grill grates?

Attachments

• 20230618_155529.jpg
    20230618_155529.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 16
You might hear differing opinions, but I only vacuum out the bottom of the grill and the burn pot after I've used it for at least 10-15 hours. I cleaned it today, and I made ribs, rack of lamb, pork chops, and one other thing since my last clean out. It wasn't too bad in there.

I would wipe off your temp probe on the left side of your grill after each cook, just to be safe.

As @brewersfan73 noted, you’ll get varied opinions. I’m wondering if the model would be a factor in some way on cleaning need.
For mine I pretty much end each session by cranking it up to high in order to reduce whatever goop there is into a scrapable material.
By habit I dump whatever is in the burn pot too.
I also clean the window because I use it every cook to view my strategically placed oven thermometers.

As @brewersfan73 noted, you’ll get varied opinions. I’m wondering if the model would be a factor in some way on cleaning need.
For mine I pretty much end each session by cranking it up to high in order to reduce whatever goop there is into a scrapable material.
By habit I dump whatever is in the burn pot too.
I also clean the window because I use it every cook to view my strategically placed oven thermometers.
I do the same as Steve.

Back