Wifi does not work after changing to new app

Spd2612

Reaction score
Start with I have called support a dozen times and have replaced the controller, reinstalled the app many times
When i bought this it ran on smokeit app just fine
Upgraded the app and firmware and wifi is less then bluetooth range
I can successfully connet the smoker to wifi but it will almost immediatly drop the connection
If i am right next to the pitboss I will show a bar and a half in the app
10 feet away nothing
The pitboss is connected to my wifi 2.4 gig network which i set down to 20 mhz for compatibilty
I have checked my dhcp table and the pitboss is connected to my wifi network
I also have a app on my iphone 13 that sees the pitboss with a excellent wifi signal anywhere in the house but the app does not see it
I do long smokes qite often and I bought this for is capacity and wifi
But wifi dont work now
I am going to have to drop anothe 1000.00 on a different smoker and kick this one to the curb if something cant be done
Oh and ive tryed the app on android, ipad and my iphone
Ok i vented

I'll start by saying Welcome.

After researching all the players and finding they all have...... dynamic features in the software/firmware I made my choice of pit boss and have been happy. It's never touched the Internet since it controls temp well out of the box. I didn't want to introduce problems for the sake of "an app". If I keep pellets for it to burn it's 100% predictable. If I want to bump the temp I turn the knob.

"Long smokes" are not an issue. Meat stick thermos have ambient temp display and 500-600 ft range with the extender. IF something was to go bad I will see it (never has), I just go about my day on the property while the smoke rolls. Much easier than feeding wood and adjusting airflow.

I hope things come around for you and your Christmas smoke is succulent.

done
Oh and ive tryed the app on android, ipad

I'll start by saying Welcome.

After researching all the players and finding they all have...... dynamic features in the software/firmware I made my choice of pit boss and have been happy. It's never touched the Internet since it controls temp well out of the box. I didn't want to introduce problems for the sake of "an app". If I keep pellets for it to burn it's 100% predictable. If I want to bump the temp I turn the knob.

"Long smokes" are not an issue. Meat stick thermos have ambient temp display and 500-600 ft range with the extender. IF something was to go bad I will see it (never has), I just go about my day on the property while the smoke rolls. Much easier than feeding wood and adjusting airflow.

I hope things come around for you and your Christmas smoke is succulent.
Thank you and I am glad you are happy but the wifi feature is important to me and was one of the reasons I selected this smoker

Thank you and I am glad you are happy but the wifi feature is important to me and was one of the reasons I selected this smoker
SPD, good luck on your search for a wifi receiver that burns pellets. Do research if that is the only real criteria you need. Most have issues, they build smokers, not wifi apps

Merry Christmas

Start with I have called support a dozen times and have replaced the controller, reinstalled the app many times
When i bought this it ran on smokeit app just fine
Upgraded the app and firmware and wifi is less then bluetooth range
I can successfully connet the smoker to wifi but it will almost immediatly drop the connection
If i am right next to the pitboss I will show a bar and a half in the app
10 feet away nothing
The pitboss is connected to my wifi 2.4 gig network which i set down to 20 mhz for compatibilty
I have checked my dhcp table and the pitboss is connected to my wifi network
I also have a app on my iphone 13 that sees the pitboss with a excellent wifi signal anywhere in the house but the app does not see it
I do long smokes qite often and I bought this for is capacity and wifi
But wifi dont work now
I am going to have to drop anothe 1000.00 on a different smoker and kick this one to the curb if something cant be done
Oh and ive tryed the app on android, ipad and my iphone
Ok i vented
I've had same problem intermittently. Some days I lose wifi as soon as I walk away from the smoker and some days it works fine. It's the app. I have a Tappeque monitor I use that works flawlessly every time, plus the app graphs the internal temperature. Great for knowing when you hit that temp plateau.

This was sent out last time, if you haven't seen or tried things..

This was sent out last time, if you haven't seen or tried things..

I have a new controller on order now they sent me one a week and a half ago and it lasted one smoke Now it just blinks and you cant control the grill at all

I have a new controller on order now they sent me one a week and a half ago and it lasted one smoke Now it just blinks and you cant control the grill at all
I hope you keep us updated if it works or not.
Thank you

Well control board is installed, at least I can control and watch temps manually.
Not having the wifi feature which pitboss can not or will not fix is very frustraiting. Having to walk all the way to the deck to check the temp in a long smoke is not what I paid for. I have tried evrything outside of rewriting the app. PitBoss output signal is good thru out the whole house and property checking with a wifi tester. I get the same results from Iphone 13, ipad and android phone
It is the Pitboss app that is the problem, never had a issue when I first bought it and it used the smokeit app
Below the board even shows the wifi signal and right up next to the smoker the app shows a good signal, leave bluetooth range and all is lost.

Attachments

• control.jpg
    control.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 12
I feel your pain I have tried the new app and have nothing but trouble keeping it going so I gave up .I loved the old app never had a issue .I will tell a story I was 700 miles away and my son fired up the smoker I had a notification on my phone I thought some one might be smoking something in my camp ground I was at .I text my son and said what you smoking my phone rings and he said how you know that I told him we both laughed

Back