24" Smoke Tube

Mark H.

Media
Reaction score
Did a 10lb picnic shoulder a couple weeks ago on my 1250 Platinum. Removed the top grate and set the shoulder on the 2nd grate, and set an extra large foil pan with some water in it on the main grate, with my smoke tube lengthwise in front of the pan. The foil pan did a great job keeping everything clean and mellowed out the hot spot over the fire pot. Anyway, I ended up filling up my 12" smoke tube twice. Just for s&g I decided to buy another 12" and hose clamp them together. Haven't used it yet, so we'll see how it goes.
20240312_150451.jpg
20240312_150517.jpg

Last edited:
I did reading on smoking meat .most of the smoke flavor come in the first 2 hours of the cook thus the smoke ring after that the composition of the meat changes as the meat reaches a certain temp and dont absorb any more smoke and one of those tubes is good for 5 hours just mix pellets and shread in there to maximize time . just let us know how it works out

Normally (when I use them) I just use 2 smoke tubes at the same time.
I would think 2 tubes at the same time would only last as long as 1 tube, albeit twice as much smoke. My hope is the longer tube would last as long as 2 tubes burning one right after the other. For a long cook, hoping to get 6 to 8 hours out of the longer tube.

Last edited:
I would think 2 tubes at the same time would last as long as 1 tube, albeit twice as much smoke. My hope is the longer tube would last as long as 2 tubes burning one right after the other. For a long cook, hoping to get 6 to 8 hours out of the longer tube.
I layer wood chips and pellets in mine
Just a thought. You might like it 🇺🇸🇺🇸

I also layer pellets and chips and they last about 5 hrs .
but at some point to much smoke could cause bitterness to the meat not flavor ?
l'm new to smoking and I have heard that. I'd be curious to hear from someone on this forum about their own personal experience with over smoking and the resulting flavor.

I mix pellets and wood chips in a 12 inch smoke tube. I have found on my PB, cooking meat at a lower temp and longer cook time increases smoke flavor. Having moved from an offset stick burner to a pellet grill, too much smoke flavor or bitterness is never issue. Just my opinion based on my cooks.

Latest Discussions

Back