Vertical Smoker Temps

Torquin

Reaction score
My PBV4PS2 never gets to the "set" temp. If I set to to 250, it will get to maybe 230, then drop off to 220 or around that. It's like the smoker just can't keep up. I know that is can, though, because if I set it to much higher, the max of the control, it will go ahead and heat up. This doesn't make sense to me. If I set it to 230, I expect it to heat to 230 before it backs off and maintains the temp. I have attached a screen shot of the temp history.
Note: P1 (blue line) is just sitting on the same shelf as what I am cooking. P2 (green line) is submerged in the water tray. The spike in the gray line, the "set temp", is when I set it at 420 to get the smoker to heat up. You can see it began to heat up then (orange line), but when I put the temp back down to 230, the actual temp dropped to 30+ degrees below that.
The spike up in the green line is how I know my water was gone from the pan, and the spike down of the same line is when I refilled with water.
I monitor the meat temps with a separate thermometer setup.

Screenshot_20241027_210141_Pit Boss Grills.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas about what's wrong here? It's like the control gives up when it gets within 30-40 degrees of the goal. You can see by the "grill temp" (orange line) and the P1 probe (blue line), the temps are close, so the temperature gauge in the controller is displaying the correct temp, but the controller is not telling the smoker to heat it up the set temp as it should. It does seem like a siftware issue to me.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
How close are you measuring temps w.r.t. the controller T/C? Temps vary significantly from one measurement location to another.

Once I figured out where the hot (and cool) spots were on my grill, I just focus mostly on the internal meat temp.

Latest Discussions

Back