Adding a chimney Pit Boss Lexington

Junior81082

Media
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I’m new in the pellet grill family, I just bought a Pit Boss Lexington, and I love it!!

I love my meat to be pretty Smokey, I ordered a smoke tube from Amazon.

I was wondering if any of you added a chimney stack to a grill that doesn’t have one?

What would be the pros and cons? Is it worth it?

Hey everybody! I’m new in the pellet grill family, I just bought a Pit Boss Lexington, and I love it!!

I was wondering if any of you added a chimney stack to a grill that doesn’t have one?

The Lexington already has a row of holes that serve as the stack under the metal fin on the back of the grill. I don’t know what advantage it would be to add a stack, but it seems to me that unless you covered/closed those holes the air flow to an added stack would be disrupted.

The Lexington already has a row of holes that serve as the stack under the metal fin on the back of the grill. I don’t know what advantage it would be to add a stack, but it seems to me that unless you covered/closed those holes the air flow to an added stack would be disrupted.
I’m actually planning on covering those holes yes. I’m thinking that with a stack I can regulate the airflow more easily

I have a 700 series. I plug the holes in the backside with electric box knockout plugs and added the stack. I love this set up, I think you will too.

Welcome from Texas to the group !!!
A lot of nice folks on here.
You won’t have an issue adding it. I’ve seen pictures of guys that built smoke shacks and added a stack going outside in Oder not to smoke in the shack.
Hopefully this helps you
Roll that smoke 💨 🇺🇸🇺🇸!!

Little update! Got the chimney stack on, cover the holes in the back (I used the plate that was originally attached, cut it and attached it with high temperature cement) and added door gasket too. Gotta let the cement cure for the door gasket for 12 hours.

We’ll see tomorrow how’s it going!

8AC87BC6-C703-425C-9DCD-C59E8EB0743D.jpeg
DC66934E-01E5-4D51-BEB5-575184292C04.jpeg
A9B0AC90-74A9-4792-A6BC-8719888F1C55.jpeg

Little update! Got the chimney stack on, cover the holes in the back (I used the plate that was originally attached, cut it and attached it with high temperature cement) and added door gasket too. Gotta let the cement cure for the door gasket for 12 hours.

We’ll see tomorrow how’s it going!

View attachment 3946View attachment 3947View attachment 3948
Looks great! I think you will be happy with the results. This is what you might consider to balance temps when smoking. I added a stell plate over top of burn pot and really made a big difference in temps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422_111951.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422_111951.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 199
Was there a hole for the smoke stack?
My son has a two year old Lexington and it has a hole with a plate over it for a smoke stack, My one mouth old Lexington doesn't have this. His lid is also a thicker metal.

Howdy and welcome!

I did exactly the same thing with my brand new 1600PSE. In fact your chimney looks to be the exact same one I added.

It just seemed like a smart thing to me: add the chimney simply because the right side of the 1600 series grills tends to be the hotter side. And the hole to accept the chimney is built in anyway. So with the chimney that adds another way to dissipate heat out the right side.

Also worth mentioning: my 1600 also has been equipped with the “smokelikeaboss” heat deflector mod which is supposed to help balance temps L-R. We shall see…

I CAN say that learning how to maintain a desired temp has been a bit of a challenge. My cook temps tend to run quite a lot hotter than the control panel indicated temp.

I do think the chimney is a good idea. After all, it can be closed off to completely shut down any heat losses if needed. So that would make it like its not there. But the jury’s still out for me on how the chimney might affect temp balance.

Good luck!!

Howdy and welcome!

I did exactly the same thing with my brand new 1600PSE. In fact your chimney looks to be the exact same one I added.

It just seemed like a smart thing to me: add the chimney simply because the right side of the 1600 series grills tends to be the hotter side. And the hole to accept the chimney is built in anyway. So with the chimney that adds another way to dissipate heat out the right side.

Also worth mentioning: my 1600 also has been equipped with the “smokelikeaboss” heat deflector mod which is supposed to help balance temps L-R. We shall see…

I CAN say that learning how to maintain a desired temp has been a bit of a challenge. My cook temps tend to run quite a lot hotter than the control panel indicated temp.

I do think the chimney is a good idea. After all, it can be closed off to completely shut down any heat losses if needed. So that would make it like its not there. But the jury’s still out for me on how the chimney might affect temp balance.

Good luck!!
I did not like the holes in the backside. On my barrel GMG I elevate a rack to move up from the infrared heat emitted from the grease pan. This brisket went in yesterday at 2pm. Smoke temp 200f. Lowered temp to 150f at 3:30am until 30 mins ago when it went into my Cambro for the trip to Myrtle Beach for Father's Day family event.

Attachments

• 20230617_093527.jpg
    20230617_093527.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230616_192100.jpg
    20230616_192100.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230616_192054.jpg
    20230616_192054.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230616_192050.jpg
    20230616_192050.jpg