Ceramic briquettes

Eastcoaster16

Reaction score
So I'm new to the world of pellet smokers. I have a pitboss 700fb1 with a few cooks under my belt. My question is about adding ceramic briquettes to the smoker to act as thermo mass. Was wondering what everyone's ideas are on that. I live in the cold north Calgary Alberta so it will be getting cold here soon.
I will be adding a welding blanket to the set up as well.

Welding blanket and keeping it out of the cold wind are two big helps. I don't think it will really matter adding ceramic briquettes, just up your temperature when it'd really cold to compensate to maintain your needed temperature.

Welding blanket and keeping it out of the cold wind are two big helps. I don't think it will really matter adding ceramic briquettes, just up your temperature when it'd really cold to compensate to maintain your needed temperature.
I got a fear of the briquettes that I put in because I had a response on FB.
"Depends if you are running on a temp or pause setting if you run on a pause setting then no you didn't effect the smoke. If you are running on a temp you'll effect the temp drop which will change the burn pattern and can either increase or decrease the smoke based on alot of other factors"
That was one. And something else I read was chance of flame out

Back