Commercial Rubs "Are they worth it"

Reaction score
Hi All,

With someone still learning the ways of BBQ/smoking. I would like to get your input on the commercial rubs. Do they actually work???
All the known brands, I have used. I can't say they make a big difference. After reviewing YouTube and books. A lot of people are simply blending rubs themselves??

thoughts!!!!

I grabbed some various rubs early on and have changed my mind on them some. Now I use some ""base" rubs. A local guy does a couple with a touch of heat and I use a Cajun and Montreal Steak Seasoning as well. On that fresh ground pepper, onion and garlic powder.

There is a smoke house near me that has the best Q I've run into, and I have eaten it all over the country. He uses a heavy ground pepper rub with a few other things and is fantastic.

With all that Yada Yada I have moved on from most the "rubs" as they all seem to be underwhelming in general.

The first brisket I smoked on my new Pit Boss, I used some leftover rub I had in the cabinet. It was A-1 Peppercorn rub and it turned out fantastic. But sadly it is no longer available. So we have been trying to duplicate it.

Back